Chapter 1 - Morning routines&morning moods

I opened my eyes to the sun lightly shining through my closed curtains. First day of school.I rubbed over my face to wipe away the uncomfortable morning feeling. Slowly I sat up on my bed and rushed my fingers through my long,straight,blonde hair. Senior year.One more year to survive in the jungle of hormonal teenagers and exam pressure. With a sigh I shoved myself to the edge of my bed and stood up.

When I shuffled in the bright hallway, my brother Jake just came out of the bathroom. He smiled at me, but I ignored his good mood and pointed at the bathroom door.

"Can I...?"

"Also a good morning to you Leighton!"

he smirked while stroking my head cockily. I mumbled and closed the bathroom door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I took a hot shower and brushed my teeth I left the bathroom with a better, fresh feeling. My towel was wrapped around my body tightly and my wet hair tied up in a messy bun.I rummaged in a drawer and picked some underwear. After I put it on I sat down on my bed again, doing nothing. I just sat there, looking on the floor, thinking about the things that could happen this year. I told myself I will have a good, last year with my best and closest friends, I will ignore those jerks in my grade this year completely, who still joke about me being the principal's daughter, although one of them, Harry, tried to convince me to go out with him a few times. This may sound desperate but I also promised myself to finally get a boyfriend this year. Don't get me wrong, but I always tried to fit in my father's picture of a perfect daughter. I've never drunk alcohol. never smoked, never went out late, always was in time, never late,good student and ... never had a boyfriend. Maybe this year I finally would get my chance. I shook my head to focus on finishing my morning routine.

It was harder than I thought to pick out an outfit for first day of school, which says look at me, I'm a lady now, no awkward shit anymore.In school is no one I want to impress, but I wanted to look more mature. I decided to wear a skinny blue jeans to my white shirt with the lace cut on the back. That would fit perfectly to my shell white ballerinas. I put on a bit mascara and rouge to finish. Then I grabbed my black bag and ran downstairs, opening my ponytail and letting my long hair fall down my back. It was still a bit wet. I immediately skipped from bad morning mood to an excitement for a new school year face. Like I told you I never disappoint my father, ever.

My dad was in the kitchen. He drank his cup of coffee in a hurry when he saw me, jumping down from the third stair.

"Morning princess."

he said friendly while puttin the empty cup into the sink.

"Morning daddy."

I almost sang.

"Ready to go?"

he asked. I nodded and grabbed my jeans jacket. I don't have a car yet. I'm allowed to drive and I already can, but after my mother left my dad for a younger guy, I thought it would be too much to ask for, so he drives me to school every morning. I already opened the door when my father turned around again.

"Jacob we're gone!"

he yelled up the stairs. I could hear my brother answering a damped "okay", when I continued my walk down the stairs in front of our house, down the stoned road to the driveway where my father parked his night blue car. I heard the front door slamming.

"Excited for your last year?"

my dad asked looking at me enthusiastically,when we stood at the crossroad, waiting for the traffic lights to changer their color from red to green.

"Kind of,I will miss everyone."

I replied smiling. I was just hoping the lights will turn green soon, so there would be no chance for him to ask me how I will go on after my graduation, because to be totally honest, I don't know it yet.Finally the green lamp glowed and my father let his car roll forward.The rest of the car drive we sat in silence. A thing that pisses me off ? That we both never had another topic to talk about then school. Thats why I miss my mum.

"I have to stay in school a bit longer today."

My dad said apologizing when we walked up to the entrance hall.

"Its okay Dad, I can take the bus." Actually its not okay. Especially not on the first day of school. I definetely would talk to him this week about getting my own car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood in my dad's office helplessly, while he sat on his big chair. From now on he wasn't 'dad' anymore. Now he is Principal Allister again.

"Anything else?" I asked.

He shook his head slowly while wiping away some dust from his table.

"Okay, then bye. See you later at home."

"Goodbye Leighton." her replied.

As I went to the door he looked up to me again.

"Leighton wait."

I turned around.

"As you know we have a lot of new students. There is also someone in your grade. Do me a favor and guide him around here a bit."

I sighed. "Sure thing. Where will I meet him?"

"Entrance hall I guess." he leaned over the table and handed out a little orange flag with our school symbol on it. I grabbed it, looking suspicious.

"Just wave with it or hold it. You know the people at this school if there is a stranger, your age, ask him if hes the new one." I nodded.

Awkward. So I will spend my first day at school waving at everyone who enters the school with an orange flag.Great.

"Thanks." he mumbled already being into his paper stuff.

Right before I left I turned around again.

"Whats his name ? Would help me a bit."

He looked at a piece of paper which appeared to be the application form of the new student.

"Zayn." he said clipped.

"Zayn Malik."