Chapter 4 - Maybe...

I pushed myself through a group of students into Mrs. Gallagher's class room. She sat on the head table and flipped through some teen magazine. I raised my eyebrows at the sight of her new hairstyle and the magazine.The blonde did not look nearly as bad as I expected, but the haircut was horrible,wild and frayed and let her round face look even rounder.Lennon was right, she tried to stay young forever. 

"Mrs. Gallagher..." I said and cleared my throat when I noticed that my voice sounded quiet and husky. Just like my voice when I whispered to Zayn in the storage room. I lied to myself. Zayn Malik caused more confusion inside of me than I thought.

She looked up and pushed her cat-eye glasses higher on her nose.To my horror I discovered that the wrinkles at her eyes had become deeper during the holidays and I suddenly understood her new style.

"Leighton...I think you're here for an apoligize?" I nodded.

"Yes. Well ... uhm..." suddenly I realized how stupid it would be to tell her the truth. I had to guide that new student, Zayn Malik, around and he suddenly pulled me into a storage room to scare me. She made a dismissive hand movement.

"I already know. You had to guide the new student around, right?" she looked at her list. "Zayn...Malik?" I got goose bumps when she said his name.

"Ye..yes." I swallowed. I didn't like what hearing his name did to me. "Its okay." Mrs. Gallagher said, looking back to her magazine. "Just make sure you and Mr. Malik don't miss my class again." I nodded again.

"Did I miss something really important?" she shook her head and seemed to be preoccupied in a new article of the magazine again. "Besides my lesson ... nothing."

"Okay then...Goodbye." she mumbled an heartless Goodbye back. With a sigh I turned around. I actually thought I would catch Lennon in here. I needed a shoulder to cry on. Not really to cry, but I was upset. 

He stood there, with one shoulder leaned on the doorframe, his arms crossed in front of his chest, grinning at me.I rolled my eyes and walked past Zayn,to make it obvious that he annoyed me,but he followed me through the crowded corridor immediately. I wouldn't talk to him. I would ignore him.While walking I noticed his gaze on my face. I couldn't hold the blood back, rushing into my cheeks and I blushed. His shameless smirk to my red cheeks was enough to break my own promise. 

"Stop following me!" I hissed.

"I have to...you are my guide, remember?" he said, and I knew he had to hold back a laugh. He thought it was funny. I stopped walking and turned around to face him. 

"Not anymore! You ruined it by yourself. And now search your next class, have a nice life and stay out of mine,bye!" I said fast and turned around, heading in the direction of the cafeteria.I had a high chance to find Lennon there. Relieved I noticed Zayn wasn't following me anymore. I couldn't see him anywhere. The crowd of students had swallowed him. Pleased I continued my walk, but something in my head told me, he wouldn't leave it like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found Lennon with her head over her phone, sitting at the table at which we sat usually. Quietly I sat down next to her.She did not notice. Once she was on her phone, she was in another world. Environment off.

"Give me your phone Mrs.Martin!"I imitated my father's voice. Lennon's dark brown eyes stared at me in shock. She needed some time to realize that it was just me.

"Ah Leighton you idiot!" she screamed over-confident. Then she pulled me into a tight hug. I laughed into her red hair. "You scared me!"

"I know!" I grinned. I really missed her. "Okay..." she said and turned to me completely. "Is it true?" I frowned.