Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3: HIDE AND SEEK WITH A TWIST

Emma's POV

Everyone is still yawning but our mind seems very awake now. It's 4 am in the morning but we are already preparing for our plan. Seeing them determined about this really made me happy. I'll do my best to survive to pay for their hard work.

Despite that, I am really doubting the outcome of this. I hope it will not affect our other plan of escaping with everyone. But on the other hand, my trust in them never vanished. I know they did all their efforts and I believe in them. I started to recall our meeting yesterday...

[FLASHBACK (11 hours ago)]

"Then, let's combine our ideas, shall we?" Norman smiled at Ray while offering his hand. Ray smirked and shook his hand with Norman and spoke, "Sure..."

Norman seemed shocked at his answer but he quickly changed his expression and smirked too.

"I'm going to show you something, it adds up with my plan," Ray said to Norman. The former nodded and walked with Ray outside the infirmary door. Gilda and Don started to walk out too.

But... "Wait, guys!" I quickly said before everyone could walk outside. Their heads turn on me with a questioning look.

"Before we proceed into this, we need to be regardful. Mama might spy on us. For sure she knows that we certainly have a plan. She might hideously eavesdrop on our conversations," I continued. Mama is very cunning. I know she's making a move. We can't just neglect her movements. She's physically strong and intelligent. We must be on guard.

"Emma is right... Let's split up first. Ray and I will come to the boy's room and talk about the plan. Don, since you're a guy, guard us on the door outside. Warn us quickly when you see Mama," Norman said.

"I will look out on the hallway and on the upstairs. If I see Mama going up, I will try to distract her or warn you guys as well," Gilda added.

"I'm going to guard downstairs. I'll find Mama. It is better to know her location to track her. I am going to look after her if I find her." I said.

"But Emma, please be careful," Norman replies after nodding in agreement. "...let's all be careful," he continued while eye-contacting all of us.

"After the meeting, we will meet back here at the infirmary and talk about the final plan. We'll ask one of our siblings to keep an eye for us outside the door," Ray explained.

"Sounds like a good plan," Don agrees.

Everyone nodded and agreed.

We started to walk to our assigned places. I went downstairs and marched around. After a round of walk, I didn't see any signs of Mama here. Hopefully, she's outside.

I decided to walk around again. Before I could walk into the dining room, I was immediately flinched by her voice.

"What are you looking for?" I lean on my back to see her. She's not smiling and her voice seems different than before. I stared at her eyes and all I could see was suspiciousness.

I thought before that she cared for us, that's why I always thought it was okay to trust her. I always told her my secrets and I never lied to her. But now that I know the truth, I will be cautious. I can even lie just to make us escape here.

I continued staring into her eyes. I tried to act brave and act like there was nothing to be suspicious about. "Nothing. I was just looking around the house. Tomorrow is my last day and I want to mesmerize my memories with it. How about you? What are you looking for, MAMA?" This is the first time I've ever talked like this with Mama. I never thought I would talk to her with this tone ever in my life.