Lettera

(Reminder: the story contains light spoilers from "Professor Layton and the Lost Future")

***

"You've received a letter from this person again today, haven't you, Luke?"

"Oh! How do you know, (Name)?"

"It's written all over your face.", you chuckle. "You always wear a peculiar expression of joy and excitement every time you get a letter from this professor."

Luke is indeed smiling from ear to ear.

"He's helping me solve a puzzle I've been struggling with for a while with no success, then, he's also telling me all about his most recent trip to Eastern Europe, where an old burial ground dating back to the thirteenth century was discovered, and after that, he's further explaining that it reminds him of a puzzle he wishes to share with me, and also, before I forget, he says that..."

Luke starts talking away without a break and rapidly, proud and passionate – it seems like the boy does not need oxygen at all.

"W-wow, so it really was another busy week for him, right?"

"Of course!", Luke agrees knowingly, his index finger pointing up. "Professor Layton is an eminent archaeologist and a brilliant puzzle solver, so it's only natural for a true gentleman like himself to be so busy! Ah... I wonder how he's doing with making tea and tidying up, now that I'm gone..."

You refrain from replying, "I'm sure he's doing fine!"; although you mean well and are willing to reassure him the best you can, you think it might actually make things worse and hurt his ego. Instead, you say, "He must miss you a lot too."

Luke used to be Professor Layton's apprentice when he was still living in London. However, over a year ago, he and his family moved away and settled in your town. Luke joined your school the very next day.

At first, he looked rather lonely and distant. It was perfectly understandable, and you know you would have felt the same way, should you have been in his shoes. 

Since both of you were sitting at the same desk, it became easier to befriend him, introduce him to your classmates and help him feel comfortable in his new home. The two of you have been the best of friends since then.

You noticed that in less than a month, Luke had changed drastically – the shy teenage boy soon transformed into a cheerful, enthusiastic and cheeky young lad, always ready to leave for an adventure.

The common interest drawing you together was your love for puzzles. It was actually the first time you had ever met someone with whom you could share your riddles and brain games and, fortunately, Luke also had an inexhaustible imagination for creative conundra.

When you two are together, there is no time to get bored because your everyday life becomes a puzzle. Every little thing.

Every detail in your surroundings. A car parked on the street. A forlorn flower in a vase. The patterns on your clothes. The shadow of your house. Birds flying over the rooftops.

Everything.

"It reminds me of a puzzle!", he would exclaim. "(Name), would you like to hear it?"

Luke always takes great pride in the education he has received from his mentor, Professor Layton.

You did not know much of this professor before encountering Luke. (You recall this episode as a profound source of shame, because when you admitted the hard, cold truth, Luke had been staring at you with his mouth open in genuine shock for a good old minute.)