Chapter Three

May 27, 2021

Release day of Friends: The Reunion

DAVID

I'm back in LA just for tonight. Lisa and I had made plans to watch the Reunion together. But in all honesty, this is not merely a social visit. I would be lying if I say that I don't have an ulterior motive. See, since the Reunion, I've been considering more and more about asking Jen out on a date, a nice dinner maybe. It's not a very straightforward decision since it's not only myself I have to think about if things work out. And I also feel foolish about it, calling this time "the right one" after all these years. I had the chance, I picked my career, and now when I'm 54 I'm changing my mind? It's silly. She's a good friend and I already don't get to see her much. I'd hate to lose her for good by making things complicated for us.

That's why I'm here to ask for Lisa's wisdom. Court's more of the adviser of the group, but I think Lisa's just as good. Also, Court is Jen's best friend. Whatever I tell either of them, the other one will hear about it for sure.

I'm on the fence about what to do. Like I want to be discouraged, as much as I want to be persuaded to go for it.

It says 8:30 PM when I look at my watch and I walk up to her doorsteps. Right on time. I press the doorbell and wait patiently.

The door opens wide and Lisa welcomes me warmly.

"Hey, Schwim!"

"Lisa" We hug briefly as I offer a gift. "Brought you your favorite wine."

"Perfect. I might need to get drunk enough to finish that movie." I laugh and follow her inside.

"Michel's out on business so we got the house by ourselves." A toy poodle barks at me from the other side of the room. "And you know Emma. She'll get tired of that eventually and next thing you know you're best friends and she's like a cat warming your feet."

"I cooked us a little something for dinner so I hope you made some room for it."

"Why else would I ask to meet at this time?" She laughs. "Well, get your ass over by the living room. We'll eat while watching." "Yes, ma'am" I playfully say. Her living room looks so much better than mine. Spacious and homey. All things at their rightful place.

"Lisa, I'll set the TV, yeah?" I shout to her. "Yes, please. This'll be ready in 5." I turn the TV on and switch to stream. I settle on the couch as I look for the show. Not too long after I found it, Lisa comes in with a tray. "Here, let me help you with that." I offer. "It's alright. I got it." She set the plates on the coffee table in front of us, and flop off the couch afterwards. I laugh a little.

"You ready?" She asks as she takes her plate and starts her lunch. I grab mine too and take a little bite. "This is so good!" "Well, don't act so surprised!"

We watch the special and talk and eat at the same time. We both get teary-eyed at some parts. We look back on some things that happened on set that weren't included in the cut, like Jen tasting the beef trifle. Eventually, the movie reaches its last minutes.

"Don't you wish we're all watching this together?" she asks. "That would have been more fun," I agree.

"So why are you really here?" She abruptly asks me.

"What do you mean? I wanted to watch this with you because it's less weird to watch ourselves alone." She catches me off-guard and now I'm somewhat unsure how to broach the topic.

"You and I both know that I know you better than that. Come on. Don't dodge, Schwim, or you're going home without my help." She says with an "I-got-you-there" smile.