Chapter 17

"You're hiding something," Dalila said to the couple in front of her.

Hadarah blushed while Ashar coughed.

"Dalila, leave them alone," defended Asa.

"Something definitely happened." Emmet watched them carefully.

"We got kidnapped. What else do you want?" Hadarah asked.

Ashar remained silent, gazing at the river in front of them.

"We know that but something else happened. You two seem closer." Emmet answered.

"Four days locked up together and three weeks living together tends to do that."

"Woah, calm down." Emmet raised his hands in surrender.

"How are you guys though?" Asa changed the topic.

"Just relieved it's all over." Hadarah sighed and laid her head on Ashar's shoulder. He wrapped his arm around her and held her close. Their friends watched them with curious eyes but didn't comment.

"We didn't have our get together," Dalila announced.

"We're having a get together now," Asa countered.

"But Emmet and I had planned it all and now all those things we bought will go to waste."

"You speak as if this is the last time we'll get together."

"Save it for next time," Hadarah suggested.

"But seriously though, what happened between you two?" Emmet asked, unable to hold back his curiosity.

"I found out that Hadarah loves chocolate cake more than she loves me," Ashar said calmly.

"What?" All three of them looked at the couple.

"She chose chocolate cake over me."

"And that's why you're cuddling?" Dalila pointed out.

"Obviously." Hadarah's voice was neutral, not revealing anything.

"So that means you both confessed to each other," Asa spoke, "otherwise you wouldn't have known she loves chocolate cake more."

Neither Ashar nor Hadarah could fight off the blush forming on their cheeks; the memories of that moment crossing both of their minds.

"Oh my gosh!" Dalila yelled.

"My ship!" Emmet exclaimed.

"Shush!" Ashar and Hadarah shouted at the same time.

"You've both grown up," Dalila continued.

"I swear, Dalila, I will murder you," Hadarah threatened, moving away from Ashar and glaring at her best friend.

"No you won't. You love me too much."

"Try me."

"Sure."

Hadarah got up the same moment Dalila did, the former chasing the latter down the length of the riverbed. The men watched them in amusement.

"Is this how girls fight?" Emmet asked.

"Nope," Asa answered. "When they fight, it's a warzone. You have to run to avoid the crossfire."

"Really?"

"Yes," Ashar agreed. "If you're caught in the middle and forced to pick a side, you might as well be surrendering to the devil. It is literally life or death."

Emmet gulped, his face turning slightly pale. "Well, damn. But on another note, you really confessed to her?"

"Yes." Ashar's voice was shy.