Chapter 18

The hall was fully decorated: ribbons and garlands hung wall to wall; the tables were covered with cream and gold tablecloths and vases in the centre; the lights encased the whole room in a soft, warm and golden glow. Guests had arrived, the sounds of their chatter floating in the atmosphere.

Hadarah and Dalila made their way through the room, finding a quiet corner where they could sit and keep watch. Both women were dressed up in full length gowns, Hadarah in violet and Dalila in light blue. The former had styled her hair in a braid over her shoulder with small flowers pinned throughout. The latter had curled her hair and wore a simple diamond hairband. They kept their makeup light and natural.

"What did you get him?" Dalila asked.

"Who? Ashar?"

"Yeah."

"I filled a small scrapbook with photos of us."

"That's cute."

"Do you think he'll like it?" Hadarah questioned nervously.

"Of course he will. He'd treasure a blade of grass if you gave it to him." A smirk played on Dalila's lips, gaining a smile from Hadarah in response.

"He said something the other night when I asked him what he wanted. He said he wanted me to be with him."

"You are with him though."

"Forever," Hadarah said slowly, waiting for it to sink in.

Dalila processed her words, her eyes lighting up with excitement. "Does this mean..."

"I think so."

A shrill squeal left Dalila's mouth, causing Hadarah to close her eyes and wince.

"Woah, ladies! What's all the excitement about?"

They both looked at Emmet. He was wearing a dark grey suit which complimented his grey eyes and his black hair was brushed to one side.

"Ashar asked Hadarah to be with him forever."

His lips curved into a huge grin. "That's great news! We'll soon start having to prepare for a wedding."

"Who's wedding?" Asa joined the group. He was wearing a maroon suit, his light brown hair also brushed to one side and his blue eyes filled with curiosity.

"Ashar and Hadarah's." Dalila answered.

"Hey guys, slow down. He hasn't even proposed yet and I don't think that will happen for a while." Hadarah's voice was quiet as she tried to fight off her blush. She did not need this today. They were here for Ashar's birthday and nothing else.

"Trust me, he will. He's completely smitten over you." Emmet teased.

"Stop," she whined, hiding her face in her hands.

"Hey, what's going on here?" Ashar appeared in a black suit and violet tie, his dark hair falling over his brown eyes.

"Your wedding preparation." Emmet smirked at him.

"What?" he asked in confusion before his eyes fell on Hadarah. "Baby, what's wrong?"

She lowered her hands and looked at him. "Ask these clowns over here." She gestured to the others.

"What did you guys do?" He gave them all a stern look.

"I'm innocent." Asa raised his hands in surrender. "I just got here before you did."

"I'll admit I got excited but it was Emmet who teased her," Dalila confessed.

"Excited over what exactly?" Ashar enquired.