Chapter 26: Venable

warning: mentions of abuse and other triggers

I won't let you close enough to hurt me ~ unknown

Ms. Venable and Langdon were facing each other and there was a really negative vibe coming from both of them.

"You have a gift to make look the ugly representable, but you created your own rules in here." I heard Langdon saying.

"I didn't, I received the orders from the cooperative." Ms. Venable answered.

"It is odd that I didn't know about this, since I am the person who sends the messages to the outposts after all."

"And nothing would be more humiliating to a man such as yourself than to learn that a woman had more information than he did."

"A man such as myself?"

"You and the others. Masters of the universe, titans of industry, swinging your dicks around and pretending to be something special."

"You're a fighter, I like that about you."

„I am just doing my best with the mess men made of things."

"Of course, you hate all men. I mean, it started with your father. An alcoholic, drug addict at that. When your mother died, he stopped taking care of you. You were sent to live with your uncle."

"How do you know that?"

"But your uncle wasn't much better. He touched you and abused you. He made fun of your scoliosis and never took you to the doctor for treatment. He didn't even buy you a corset. And then when you were sixteen and fell in love with that one boy your hatred for men only got worse. The boy manipulated you and got his groups to gang rape you. Afterwards they threw you away like a piece of trash and laughed at your back. They kicked you and aggravated your scoliosis. Is that why you made the rule that sexual activity is forbidden? Because you can't stand it that other people make love in here and you never will?"

Ms. Venable didn't say anything, but I could see from a distance that she was starting to shiver.

"He told you that you will never find love because of your disability. And he was right about that. You didn't let anyone get close to you or care about anyone but yourself and build a hard wall around you for years."

"Stop talking! I don't want to remember that."

Langdon didn't seem to care at all, because he kept talking blithely:

"But then after so many years of loneliness and anger, you met someone. This person enchanted you from the first moment. But at the same time, she always reminded you that love is your weakness. And therefore y/n became your weakness. That's why you always punished her, right? I noticed that she was the first female person you laid your hands on. You really like her a lot, but you're afraid of being hurt again."

S-she loves me?

Is that true?

I was overwhelmed. Was Michael really speaking the truth? If so, does she really love me? And was she treating me this way the whole time because so many terrible things happened to her and I reminded her of them?

„Take of your dress." I heard Langdon commanding.

„I will not." Ms. Venable laughed in despair.

"Part of your cooperation includes a physical examination. I want to see what they did to you. I want to see that part of you that humiliate you the most."

Langdon let his hand brush over her shoulder, but Ms. Venable curled her fingers into his hands. She looked genuinely frightened, ashamed and helpless, but Langdon kept pushing pressure on her:

"You won't get a second chance."

She eventually let go of his hand and he slowly began to unzip her dress. I couldn't see her contorted back, but seeing her desperate face broke my heart.

His hand examined her back when he suddenly turned back to her face.

„Does is hurt?" he asked.

„No..." Her eyes glazed over.

„But does it bring you great pain?"

"Y-yes."

You could see her trying to fight against her own shame. Her voice was shaky and unstable, while the tears in her eyes became more and more. I have never felt so sorry for her.

Langdon leaned farther and farther toward her, their noses almost touching, so tight was he to her body. I suddenly felt a kind of jealousy bubbling up inside me.

"So, do I pass?" She looked into his eyes, then at his lips, and for a moment it looked as if they were about to kiss.

"No." he said, smiling vile.

You could see in her eyes how her inner world was collapsing.

I couldn't watch this situation anymore. Who does this asshole think he is, that he can treat my beloved so disgustingly?