Christine(A confession)

It was still dark that night when I felt someone shaking me. I shot up startled only to find Raoul looking at me. "Raoul what on earth are you doing here" I half whisper-shouted. "Shh please get dressed and come with me I will explain everything" he whispered leaving without giving me a chance to reply. Still half asleep I got dressed fumbling greatly but managed to get out to Raoul's carriage in quite a fast time. He ushered his horses on and the entire carriage ride was in silence. When we stopped I noticed immediately that we were at the graveyard. I was extremely confused but as Raoul helped me out of the carriage and began walking with me on his arm briskly through the graveyard I began to understand that he was leading me toward my fathers grave. We arrived at my fathers tomb and as we looked silently I got a feeling that something was odd about it but I couldn't figure out what it was. I turned and looked at Raoul. "Raoul tell me what is going on" I demanded. The sun still was not up and it was quite dark which meant that I could not see his expression very well. "I have struggled so much to contain what I feel for you until a more appropriate time but I broke tonight" Raoul said determinedly. I stood in a very unladylike way with my mouth slightly open. Raoul continued "I will not attempt to convey my struggle to you but I do hope that you will take me as broken and bruised as my soul may be from my thoughts of you". I broke my silence saying "Raoul what are you talking about". I was so confused and I knew it showed on my face. "I wanted to bring you hear so your father may be present also as I tell you" he paused panting and looked me straight in the eye "Christine I love you...and have for an extremely long time now...ever since we were children in fact and I want you to do the honour of granting me your hand". I looked around to my fathers grave wondering what he would say if he was here in person now. As I looked back at Raoul I said slowly "May I please have some time to think before I give a response". Raoul bowed and taking my hand placed a kiss on the back of it "take as long as you need m'lady". I smiled and he continued "I have business to take care of for the next two weeks so I will not be able to see you during that time". I nodded and the rest of the journey back to the opera house was spent in silence. As I hurried to get dressed into my ballet outfit I suddenly realised what had been wrong with fathers tomb. In front of it where I had left a bouquet of flowers there had been a rose next to it tied with a black ribbon. I had not put it there and as I went to join Madame and the rest of the ladies I could not think of who might of put the rose there.