Half Moon

Sandstorn's words had scratched Firestar harder than Tigerstar's claws. How could he be so stupid? As Firestar stood there, trying to collect his thoughts, Swiftpaw ran up to him.

"Hey where did Sandstorm go?" he asked.

"We had another fight," Firestar said, wearily.

"Okay, well, Bluestar sent me to tell you that she forgot to remind you that tomorrow night is the medicine cat's Half Moon Gathering. She needs you or Sandstorm to tell Jayfeather about the going back as a kit thing," Swiftpaw meowed.

"Alright. I want to tell him. Where will he be when he dreams?" Firestar asked.

"Follow me, and I'll show you," with that, Swiftpaw whirled around and bounded away. Firestar ran after him.

As they sprinted through Starclan's hunting grounds, Firestar saw Sandstorm talking to Goldenflower. They met eyes, and Sandstorm turned away from Firestar. He would have to talk to her later.

"Well, here's the place." Swiftpaw had led Firestar to a meadow, with lots of herbs.

Firestar carefully examined the area, so he would remember it, then nodded to Swiftpaw. "I think I can remember the path."

"Alright. I'll leave you now. Good luck with Sandstorm," he replied, then bounded towards some other apprentices.

Firestar turned, and ran back to where he had seen Sandstorm. She and Goldenflower were still talking. As he neared them, he slowed down, and heard a little bit of their conversation.

"You know, he does it out of love," Goldenflower said gently.

"No, Goldenflower, I already told you, he loved Spottedleaf, not me," at that moment, Goldenflower saw him, and flicked her tail, motioning him to come. "And if he loved me, he would have come back to talk about this."

Firestar stepped out of the shadows. "And I did come."

"I'll leave you two to talk," Goldenflower said. "Good luck," she added to Firestar in a whisper.

Firestar took a nervous breath. Sandstorm looked at him expectingly.

"Do you remember, back in the old forest, when I chose Brackenfur to mentor Tawnypelt, when you were the correct chose?" Firestar asked.

"Yes, I was very mad at you," Sandstorm growled. Clearly, that wasn't a good memory for her.

"It was because I wanted to protect you. Everything I have ever done for you, is to protect you. Even if you don't relize it. I died to protect you and our clanmates from Tigerstar. Even if you don't like it, we all need to be protected, at some point," Firestar said.

"I guess your right. I'm sorry I snapped at you," Sandstorm said. "I guess you over heard what I said to Goldenflower."

"Yes, I did. And for the one hundredth time, I love you, and you only," Firestar said forcefully. As Sandstorm tried to interrupt, Firestar pressed on. "You're just too stubborn to realize that! If I loved Spottedleaf, I would have been angry at you for not saving her! And am I? No! So stop thinking you're a second best to me, because your not."

Firestar took a gulp of air. During his brief break, Sandstorm said, "Then why did you meet with her in your dreams? And why didn't you tell me, until I found out?"