Prologue: Fire

Ellie, age 5

Pack member rushed all over the place, some threw water trying to stop the flames before they spread to nearby areas. I stood well away from the burning house in only my night gown. I clutched onto my teddy, Blue, and the only photograph left of my family with so much force no once could pry either out of my hand.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Luna come and stand beside me. She picked me up and walked away from the horrors happening before my eyes.

"Don't look back, Elenora." Luna said. But it was too late, I was already looking back. This night was already burned into my memory forever.

As the flaming house grew smaller and smaller the further Luna walked away from it, tears slipped from my eyes. I wiped them away with the sleeve of my night gown.

Luna walked towards the pack house, the flaming house lost in the distance of the night, but I could still see the flickering orange glow. I closed my eyes, but I could still see the orange glow behind my eyes, flickering and taunting me. It was saying look at me, look at me, I took everyone you loved from you, look at me, aren't I great.

I opened my eyes just as Luna entered the pack house, she closed the door behind her and I could no longer, physically, see the flickering orange glow anymore.

Luna walked up the stairs, she gave me a bath then took me up to the attic. The attic was small and only held a box of clothes with a blanket on the top and a bed. Well, it was more of an old mattress on the floor rather than a proper bed.

Luna set me on the floor and went to grab a blanket from the top of the box, she spread it over the mattress and sat on it. She didn't comfort me, or try to tell me everything was okay. No, there was none of that, she just sat there.

In fact, there was none of anything. No one seemed to care that I was now an orphan, or that I had no where to go. I didn't even know what was going to happen to me now. Would I even be allowed to stay in Red Bone or would they force me to be a lone wolf?

Having stood in the doorway long enough, I went to sit by the Luna. She sat their, watching me as I stared off at nothing. Still, I wondered, what would happen now. No one was telling me anything and all that was left of my family was the picture that I was still holding.

"What do you have there?" Luna asked. She reached out for the picture of my family.

Instinctively, I moved it out of her grasp. It was mine, and I wanted to protect what was mine. I'd protect this picture with my life, it was all that I had left of my family to remember them by.

"It's mine." I say. Folding the picture, I stuffed it into the pocket of my night gown and scooted away from Luna in case she tried to take my picture again.

For some reason, I felt like Luna was trying to take away my picture. And it may have seemed silly to not want to show anyone the picture but I'd just lost my entire family in a fire, I wanted to be able to hold onto what was left of them, this picture.

"Okay. Get some sleep, you've had a big night." Luna said. She stood up and dusted off her bed clothes.

"Luna, what's going to happen to me now?" I asked. Luna stopped in her tracks and turned to me.

"I'm not sure. For now, get some rest. We'll work things out in the morning, okay." Luna said.

"Okay." I said. My eyes began to close on their own, I didn't try to fight it. I was so tired that all I wanted to do was sleep. So I let sleep consume me.

Tomorrow will be better, I hope