III

"I am so sorry, your majesty," said the Chief Physician.

Mana just stared at the barely and emmer wheat.

No indication of sprouting barley nor that the emmer wheat germinated.

Meaning Mana was not pregnant.

Mana nodded, understanding what she needed to do.

"Thank you." she weakly whispered before the guards escorted her out of the room surrounded by her servants.

Walking out into the hallway, Mana dismissed her servants as she needed to pay a visit to her husband.

Her servants kneeled before leaving their Queen alone, as she requested. Mana let out a shaky breath before controlling her emotions.

Slowly, she made her way to her husband's courtroom, knowing he was alone at this time.

The guards bowed down at her nearing presence and opened the doors for her.

Mana entered the room and almost ran out had it not been for the guards to close the door.

Seto was in the corner of the room, alone as she predicated, reading over new laws for Egypt. He had his back turned on her.

"I assume you came here to give me your test results?"

Mana nervously twisted her hair as she replied, "Yes."

There was an awkward silence before Seto demanded, "What were they?"

Mana was glad he wasn't facing her. She didn't wish to see his expression.

"I'm not pregnant."

From Mana's perspective, she could see how Seto tensed up. His shoulder and back muscles were in a tense state before he lowered his head down.

"This is the second time," he argued.

"I know- but the Chief Physician said-"

"Are you infertile?" Seto asked, frustrated.

Mana glared at him.

"This is the second time we've tried, and you're still not pregnant."

"I don't want you to touch me again." he quietly added, but Mana heard it.

Her eyes narrowed as she seethed, "You think I have the desire for you to touch me as well?"

Mana let out a disgusted scoff.

"I think we're both aware that I never wanted to end up in this arranged marriage."

"Then why did you choose me?" Mana screamed.

Seto was silent. Getting angrier at this rudeness, Mana stomped over to him and grabbed his shoulder.

"There was no one else!" he managed to yell as he turned around to face his wife.

"Lies! There are many high-status women in Egypt. You could have harems at your feet! Why me?"

"You were going to be handed to that man!"

"What about it? I could have advocated for myself."

"The council was not going to let go of his deal. I promise you; you would have been his wife were it not for me-"

Slap!

Seto just stood still, too shocked to process the fact that Mana had just slapped him on his right cheek.

"How ignorant of you to think of yourself as my savior," Mana said, with loathing in every word.

With a final glare, Mana collected herself before walking out of the room. Seto didn't move from his frozen state until he heard the guards closing the door.