#2: Tear It Apart

Summary: "Fire and ice. You come on like a flame, then you turn a cold shoulder. Fire and ice. I wanna give you my love, but you'll just take a little piece of my heart. You'll just tear it apart. . . ."

Notes: Based on "Fire and Ice" by Pat Benatar. Some scenes were inspired by me listening to "Snow White Queen" by Evanescence on a loop while writing.

Trigger Warnings: non-consensual drug use, non-consensual sexual situations, non-consensual memory alteration. Or, Ten basically taking advantage of Martha and her feelings for him in the worst way possible.

Originally published: 2014-07-28

= = =

Ooo, you're giving me the fever tonight.
I don't wanna give in. I'd be playin' with fire . . .

Martha Jones, stretched out on the jump seat in the TARDIS, studied the lean dark figure of the Doctor through half-closed eyes. His long brown coat was draped over one of the coral struts and the man—Time Lord—himself was perched on another with one leg drawn up to his chest and the other dangling over the edge. The green light from the time rotor cast half of his angular face and body into shadow, left the rest of him bathed in murky light. His hands, with those long, slender fingers, were draped and crossed over one knee, fingers occasionally intertwining or picking absent-mindedly at the leg of his blue trousers. Martha was fascinated by those hands, that lean body; would imagine his fingers lightly dancing over her skin while his mouth and the rest of him were otherwise occupied.

Heat flooded her cheeks now as the Doctor turned his head, his eyes meeting hers, and his mouth curved in a slow smile. Could he tell what she was thinking? Mortified, Martha quickly glanced away. No matter what her fantasies were; never mind how she felt about the Doctor, she wouldn't give in. If she did, she'd be playing with fire. Besides, the Doctor had made it perfectly clear that he didn't want her, not in that way. His precious, perfect Rose was the exception, not the rule.

Surely he had to know what he did to her with every look, every touch, every word. How could he not?

You forget I've seen you work before.
Take 'em straight to the top.
Leave 'em cryin' for more.
I've seen you burn 'em before. . . .

But then, he'd told her about Reinette, also known as Madame de Pompadour and whose real name was Jeanne-Antionette Poisson . . . and what that lapse in judgment had almost cost him, despite the fact he'd done nothing with Reinette and he had never returned the French woman's feelings. Even so, he'd wanted to take her on one trip to show her the stars, had told her to pack a bag and he'd come back for her.

She'd died waiting for him to return.

Then there was that matron, Nurse Joan Redfern. She'd fallen in love with the Doctor when he'd turned himself human, and his human self had fallen for her as well. John Smith's anguished words and expression came back to Martha now: "Falling in love? That didn't even occur to him?!"

No, it hadn't, Martha thought bitterly, because the Time Lord was still in love with and pining after Rose.

The point was, the Doctor had left both Reinette and Joan crying, longing for more; had given both of them more than he'd ever given her—and . . . he'd left them burned.

Lady killer, Martha thought, shifting her position until she was lying on her side, her legs curled up in a manner similar to the fetal position. She wanted to give him everything, but he'd just take her heart and tear it apart, would whisper promises in the dark.