10. Third time's a charm

Yong insisted on being present at the airport to see when Jiew arrived. It was a little embarrassing for the boy because neither he nor Jiew had talked to their families about their relationship yet, but it was clear within a few moments what would happen to them.

That's because as soon as Jiew saw Yong waiting for him, he ran towards the taller male, unable to see anyone else around, and they both hugged as they'd wanted to do for a long time.

"Welcome back, Jiew!", Yong said joining his forehead to the shorter one, both with heavy breaths.

"It's good to be back, Yong!", he replied still circling the waist of the man in front of him with his arms.

After a few minutes had passed, Jiew's mother cleared her throat uncomfortably and decided to interrupt the scene between the two boys:

"Hey, hey, you two! It's pretty clear what's going on here, but wouldn't it be better to go home first? Jiew must be tired!", the boy's mother offered and seeing the embarrassment of the younger ones, added "It isn't like you never visited us before, Yong! The only difference is that now you're my son-in-law!", she said smiling and making the young couple surprised.

That's how they arrived at Jiew's family home and the shorter one had been totally ignored by his own relatives who had fallen on Yong like ants. At every moment his 3-year-old nephew wanted to show the tall boy something or his mother would offer him something to eat. Jiew had already lost count of how many stories his father had told Yong who endured all of this with a smile on his face and being kind to everyone.

When it was time for the boy to leave, Jiew finally saw his chance to be a few minutes alone with his loved one since they had confessed their feelings for each other.

"I didn't want you to have to leave now...", Jiew said staring at the floor and with a pout on his lips that melted Yong's heart.

"But we...", but they were interrupted because Jiew's nephew decided to give one of his favorite stickers to the new Phi.

"As I was saying... I wish...", but Jiew still couldn't speak because his mother showed up to invite Yong to have dinner with them whenever he wanted.

"This is hard! All I want to say is...", Jiew stopped himself this time before continuing to make sure no one else showed up "I think this time I'll be able to say that..."

But he was interrupted again. This time, by Yong who inclined his head, took the other's delicate chin between his thumb and forefinger and placed a chaste kiss on his plump lips.

"Sorry, I've wanted to do this since the first time I saw you, I couldn't wait anymore...", Yong said with a smile that didn't carry an ounce of regret.

"At the airport?" Jiew asked intertwining his fingers with Yong's big hand.

"No. Since I met you that day at the freshman orientation...", Yong said giving Jiew one more kiss, but now on the cute cheek of the latter.

"Ai Yong, you are so cheesy!", the boy chided his boyfriend softly, but full of pleasure for having heard those words.

After enjoying each other's presence for a few more moments, they both said goodbye and arranged to have dinner together at a restaurant the following night.

********

Yong had prepared himself and had a very good plan in mind to officially ask Jiew to be his boyfriend. But not everything went as planned.

At the first time:

"Jiew, what do you think..." but the waiter interrupted the couple to offer the menu.

And the second time:

"Jiew, would you like to...?", but the restaurant staff entered the room singing "Happy Birthday" to a family sitting in the back and barring any chance for an intimate conversation between them.

Finally, in the third time around, they managed to get to the heart of the conversation.

"Jiew, you...", Yong stopped waiting and looking around. "I mean, since you've been away we haven't talked openly about it anymore and I want to officially ask: can I be your boyfriend?"

"Well they say the third time's a charm! I gladly accept, Yong!"

The couple had a lot of fun eating quietly, intertwining their fingers across the table and sharing passionate glances, until an old acquaintance appeared.

"Ah, as far as I can see, you're finally together!", Marc said with a sigh of relief. "I thought that would never happen, the two secretly liked each other for so long, but no one of you took the first step! We even made a bet to know who it would be!", the former college classmate laughed attracting the attention of some tables around them.

"Err... Marc, if you don't mind, we're kind of busy here, you know?", Yong said trying to be subtle, but the tomato red hue that took over his face showed how embarrassed he was. Jiew, across the table, looked no less embarrassed.

"Oh, guys! Sorry! Enjoy your date, ok? Text me on Line for us to go out!", Marc returned to his place and left his friends having fun at the table. Or trying to do as close to it as they could after the unexpected interruption.

"So, it seems like everyone knew...", Jiew started after coughing to hide his embarrassment.

"I wouldn't have minded a tip or two, you know...", Yong smiled weakly.

"You're the densest person I've ever seen in my life, Yong!", Jiew didn't miss the chance to tease the other.

"At least now we've been able to say everything we feel about each other...", Yong said reaching out for Jiew's hand that was resting on the other side of the table.

Jiew smiled widely, joy filling his heart. He realized then that they were never one step away from love, but always around and filled with it. Every step in their journey was guided by love and because of it. Now it was up to the two of them to enjoy what they had achieved.

----------

Notes:

And this is the end! I hope you liked reading it 💙