Chapter1-2

: prologue

Notes:

If you liked 'Wanna bet?' I think you'll like this one as well :)

Okay, so I'm starting this story and writing as I go. This time I don't really have a super defined plan. I do know, very roughly, what I want to do though. Hope you like it, it's a very light fic (or so I expect) and I'm just having fun with it. Please don't judge Lauren. She's unmasking assholes.

This is the prologue, no Camila. Our Commander will show up in the next one though o/

Oh and as always, forgive any silly mistakes, it's unbeta'd (as per usual).

Anyway, happy readings:

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

Lauren Jauregui doesn't have the most honourable job ever. In fact, she has what is possibly the least honourable job ever. What started as helping out a friend has since grown into— hell. Into something Lauren herself cannot even begin to describe.

It all began in college when Raven, one of her closest friends, started dating Finn Collins. He was, by all accounts, the perfect boyfriend: luscious hair, million-dollar smile, smouldering dark eyes, and seemingly undying dedication to his girlfriend. 'Seemingly' being the keyword, Lauren and her friends thought at the time. They had always been put off by his exceedingly gentle demeanour towards Lauren herself, so they concocted a rather ingenious plan designed to expose his wretched ways. Lauren would try and seduce Finn and, if successful, present the evidence to Raven. If unsuccessful — well, to be honest, they hadn't really thought about that. Lucky for them, they did not need to: Finn took the bait after meagre teasing and soon he was all over Lauren like a pup in rut.

At first, Raven's reaction surprised her friends: she turned against Lauren, denial clouding her judgement. Eventually though, she came around and finally saw who really was at fault there — her cheating boyfriend, with whom she broke up immediately after.

Other cases came up and soon Lauren was exposing dishonest boyfriends and girlfriends to their disheartened other halves all over campus. Once she exposed a guy who was taking advantage of a girl, using her as his 'beard'. Then she started being asked to uncover secrets for other people.

Everything changed when one day Octavia, Bellamy's sister and one of Lauren's closest friends, suggested they make it a business. Everyone rejected the idea at first but when a client came waving with a dozen thousand dollar notes — none of them was able to say no to an extremely appealing deal. It was an easy job, too: seducing a rich prick to prove that he was a cheater so his wife could get the better end of the divorce settlement.

Lauren succeeded and rejoiced, then some thousand bucks richer and with a clear conscience, knowing she had exposed an asshole.

The business grew and the reasons for breaking couples up or discovering secrets got shadier — but by the they were all detached and filling their pockets. What was a broke couple when you could make some thousands? Besides, their 'victims' were always filthy rich — they could buy themselves a new boyfriend or girlfriend any day, anyway. At least that is what they kept telling themselves, perhaps in the hopes of being able to sleep at night after a particularly uncomfortable job.

Nowadays, Lauren does not need to tell herself that; she does not need to tell herself anything. It is a job. There are goals and honoraria and targets. There are no longer people; there are simply assets and variables and opportunities. Lauren has grown to love what she does — she is great at it. Whether she has to seduce or get secrets out of someone, Lauren is the best.