Chapter 20

“Thank you very much for having us” Lawson said as he shook Annabelle’s’ little hand.

“You are welcome here anytime” Derek said reaching out for his hand. Lawson took it and a small smile graced his face. I smile to myself, seeing his truly happy.

“Yes please do come back anytime” Susan said shyly.

“We will” I said, linking my arm with Lawson’s.

“And if you like please come down and see us again” Lawson tone had turned shy.

“I would love that” Susan’s strength returning to her voice.

“And we” Lawson looked to me with a smile and a nod “would love for you to come to the wedding.”

Susan’s face was instantly wet with tears streaking down her beautiful face, rolling over her unbreakable smile.

“Nothing would make me happier” She finally managed to get out.

She reached out to Lawson and pulled him into a tight hug. His face kind of fell and his arms stayed by his side. Then his face softened and his arms swooped up and around his mother. I could feel tears brimming my eyes and I turned my head to regain my composure.

We said our final goodbyes and as Lawson and I walked hand in hand to the car I could feel the sense of love radiating from him.

----------------------------------------

“Honey I have to go. Pax is acting really strange and won’t leave me alone.” I spoke into the phone.

We would have loved to stay with his Mum, but the real world was calling and we both had to get back to work.

“Ok, I’ll see you after work.” Lawson’s voice hummed to me.

“Love you” I replied smiling to myself.

“I can feel your smile and, I love you too!” He laughed.

“Smartass” I mumbled to myself after hanging up the phone.

Pax, the dog I was currently trying to give a check up to, trying being the key word, was being a right little sod. Every time I put him on the table, he would jump back off and sit by my legs. If I tried to get help he would bark at the nurse and he even nipped at her. Pax is a beautiful golden retriever, her owner has had her since she was a puppy and I remember her coming in to the clinic since before I left to study.

“Come on hunny, why won’t you just sit on the table?” I waited for a reply.

She barked once and lay down at my feet.

“Fine, you want to do this the hard way?” I mused, with a giggle.

I grabbed everything I needed and sat on the floor with her. She moved her head, resting it on my legs. I raised my eye brow and smiled.

“Silly girl” I shook my head.

I did everything I needed to and just as I was about to get up Dad came in.

“Rosey?” He was holding back a laugh “what are you doing? You know we have tables for a reason ah?”

“Haha very funny Dad. Did Hillary not fill you in?” I replied.

“No? She’s gone for her late lunch.” He said coming closer.

Pax let out a little growl.

“Whoa! Pax it’s just me!” Dad said taking a step back.

“See?” I pointed down to her “She nipped at Hillary when she got close. She wouldn’t stay in the table and would just move down by my feet, so I though bugger it, I’ll move to you. Then this is how we’ve stayed pretty much the whole time. She’s perfectly healthy, especially for her age.”