Chapter one: Rain of silence

I sit on the edge of my grey couch, the window slightly ajar, allowing the rain's soothing rhythm to fill the room. Today was forecasted to be a day of endless rain, a forecast that suits me just fine. As I watch the raindrops cascade from the sky, the city remains shrouded beneath the dark clouds, devoid of any sunlight. I take a sip of my tea, savoring the warmth as I empty my cup. Lost in my thoughts, I'm startled when the doorbell chimes, pulling me back to reality. Rising from the couch, I make my way to the door and find my best friends standing there, frustration evident in her expression. Unlike me, she's no fan of rainy days, evident by the umbrella in her hand and the long black raincoat that matches her blonde hair perfectly.

Solar: "I'm relieved to be indoors. The streets are deserted, and I never imagined so much rain could fall from the sky."

This is Solar, my closest friend whom I met at the café where we both work. We live nearby and see each other daily. Today, she's arrived with breakfast in hand. After Solar settles in, removing her coat and shoes, I head to the kitchen. My living space is an open layout, with the kitchen, living room, and dining room interconnected. I grab two plates from the cupboard as Solar unpacks her bag at the table.

You: "What would you like to drink? Tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or water?"

Solar: "I'll have what you're having."

You: "Tea it is, then."

I pour tea into two cups, setting them on the table along with the plates. As we sit down to eat, Solar remarks on the lack of lines at the store, a silver lining to the dreary weather.

Solar: "At least the store wasn't crowded. That's one positive about this weather."

You: "I doubt work will be busy either. Not many people venture out in this kind of rain for coffee or pie."

Solar: "Wy complain? It means free food from our boss!"

Solar's always ecstatic about free food from work, though we can't sell it the next day as our boss insists on freshness.

Solar: "Did you catch the news this morning? Something big happened overnight."

You: "I left the bar around three in the morning. Do you really think I had time for the morning news?"

Solar: "I worry about you working at the bar so late. It' not safe for a girl, especially if some drunk and sketchy guy approaches you."

I appreciate her concern. I'd feel the same if our roles were reversed. Though I'm the only girl at the bar, the other guys there are friendly and always have my back.

You: "You're overthinking it. I can perfectly handle myself in those situations. So, what's the news?"

Solar: "Right, we were talking about that. They found another body."

You: "Another one? That's, what... the sixth this month?"

Solar: "Exactly. That's why I worry about you roaming the streets late at night."

You: "Any lead yet on who might be behind it?"

Solar: "All the victims had only debts in common. The police suspect that's the motive."

You: "Killed over debts? That's absurd. It's not like the killer will get his money back that way."

Solar: "That's just what they said on the news. Who knows if it's true. Maybe it's a serial killer? That would be even worse."