Chapter eighteen: Hidden mercy

Your pov, a few minutes earlier

You "I asked you a question. Who are you?"

I asked the tall man again, growing impatient with his silence. He stood at the far end of my room, maintaining a deliberate distance.

Man: "The house is under attack. I received the order to bring you to safety."

The man finally responded, his tone calm but urgent.

You: "The house is under attack? By who?"

My heart skipped a beat. An attack? Here? The mansion suddenly felt far less secure.

Man: "That's unclear right now. All I know is that my task is to bring you to safety."

Despite the urgency in his voice, something about him seemed off. But I couldn't afford to be paralyzed by doubt. The reality of the situation hit me hard: living with a mafia gang meant living with constant danger. This was a stark reminder. I placed the book J-hope had given me on the small wooden table next to my chair and stood up, noticing just how much taller the man was. He began to close the distance between us.

You: "Where are we going?"

Man: "There's a safe room in the hallway."

I nodded, signaling that I understood. Fear gripped me, but I knew I had to stay focused. The gunshots outside were growing louder and more frequent. This was no drill. I turned and headed toward the door, opening it quietly to peek out into the hallway. It was empty, which gave me a moment of relief.

You: "The hallway is clear. We should-"

Before I could finish, the man lunged at me, slamming me against the wall next to the door. The suddenness of his attack left me stunned. His hand clamped around my neck, lifting me slightly before spinning me around and shoving me with enough force to send me crashing into the chair I had been sitting on.

As I scrambled to my feet, I noticed he was holding a cloth in his hand. Panic surged through me. Was he planning to drug me? The realization hit me like a ton of bricks: this man wasn't one of the guards. He had lied.

Desperation fueled my next move. I backed away, trying to put distance between us as my mind raced for a plan.

You: "I ask you again... Who are you?"

The man's response was curt, his tone laced with urgency and determination.

Man: "It doesn't matter who I am. All I have to do is get you out of here. And since I can't take the risk that you might run away or resist, I need you to go to sleep for a while."

His words sent a chill down my spine, realization sinking in that this man wasn't here to protect me. Before I could react, he lunged toward me, moving faster than I anticipated. Instinct kicked in, and I dodged under his outstretched arm, narrowly avoiding being pushed back into the chair.

Turning swiftly, I launched myself at him, aiming to immobilize him before he could make another move. I jumped on his back, throwing him off balance. He stumbled, crashing onto the chair with me on top of him. He struggled to push me off, but I held on tightly.

With quick thinking, I stomped on the back of his knee, causing him to grunt in pain. His groans were muffled by the pillow on the chair. As he weakened from the pain, I seized the opportunity to grab the cloth he held tightly in his hand. He resisted fiercely, but another kick to his knee forced him to loosen his grip.