008

(warning - coming out to parent with harsh repercussions, use of a racial slur, and physical and mental abuse)

los angeles, california
1990s

ARLEY FLETCHER

arley and lori sat together watching tv. arley glanced at lori, "how long have you guys...you know...been together?"

"for three weeks...i was gonna tell you but you hadn't been here for days."

arley looked at the tv, "i wasn't ready to apologize. i'm still not but i'm going to be here. just for you." arley gave lori a small smile and continued watching the movie.

"thank you."

"it's not problem."

when sueanne came home, she made a show about arley apologizing. she was saying things about how her friends were the ones who taught her all that language and how she hoped lori wouldn't pick up on it.

arley was already feeling like shit after ditching stevie like that, so sueanne telling her she was shit wasn't making it any better. arley reminded herself that she was only here to be by lori's side and when sueanne went to go finish dinner lori pulled arley aside.

"just one dinner, then if you want you can go to emerson's and never come back. but just stay with me for one dinner."

arley gave her a smile and nodded again.

arley's dad came home as soon as lori and arley finished setting the table. arley didn't say anything to him but she could definitely tell he wasn't doing alright. he looked tired.

his drowsiness practically dissolved when he saw arley. he hesitated with going to hug her and arley didn't even try and hug him.

michael thought about how barbara would handle this. well, barbara wouldn't have to because if barbara was here, sueanne wouldn't be and arley wouldn't be pissed at him.

the four sat down at dinner. this time michael didn't bother asking how their days were since the uproar it caused last time.

sueanne was watching arley closely, while eating the salad she prepared for before the spaghetti she made. "so, arley, where have you been staying at? it's been weeks."