1: Welcome to Suna

"A messenger from Konoha has arrived and is asking for permission to speak with you, Kazekage-sama," one of his own guards reported. The 21-year-old guy lifted his head up from his paperwork.

He had been sitting on the official seat earlier this morning when one of his guards had knocked on the door of his office to report the news. Now, the guard was standing in front of the Kazekage. The man's hands clasped behind, shoulders straightened, head held high and perfectly still; as he posed like a true ninja. The only thing that separated them was a large, old burgundy office desk, full of unfinished paperwork waiting for his signature of approval.

Gaara gave a nod, giving his consent. The guard gave a salute before leaving.

Gaara frowned, his forefinger tapped on the table, pondering at the news. Was there any new event other than the recent problem that was brewing between Konoha and Suna? He was glad that it was Naruto who had taken over the Hokage's hat from Tsunade two years ago. The elders of Konoha had proven to be as difficult as ever when dealing with any issues involving the two villages.

I really need a rest...

He sighed. He had been working for too long until his body began to feel tense. His back was aching terribly, and he massaged his tired dark eyelids with two fingers. They should give his body a break. This never-ending work had to stop sometime. He could not even remember when the last time he had been to the House of Pleasure to relieve himself.

The guard, who had left several minutes earlier, now returned with a person who was covered with a dark brown cloak and hood, from head to toe. Gaara kept frowning; this wasn't the standard messenger Naruto had been sending most of the time. The small person bowed to him before removing the hood to reveal herself.

 The small person bowed to him before removing the hood to reveal herself

Uh, uh...

There, in front of him stood a beautiful young woman with mesmerizing green eyes. Gaara blinked. He didn't think he made a sound, but he wasn't certain. He quickly masked his astounded expression and studied the young woman before him.

She was truly a beauty - well, he just couldn't deny that, but her behavior was somewhat contradictory as her calm gaze held steadily against his. There was nothing coy about the way she held her head high. Even her posture was proudly showing that she was an experienced ninja. The only imperfection that he could ever notice was her wide forehead that was covered with her long bangs. Her shoulder-length pale pink hair was bound in the back, but several tendrils had worked loose and fell gently to the sides of her face.

Pink hair.

Was this Naruto's tomboyish former teammate who had become one of the most renowned medic-nin in the Fire Country?

"Haruno Sakura, I assume?" His question made her smile, she seemed pleased that he still remembered her name. His throat tightened, and his mouth went dry. All his thoughts vanished again at a single glance at her smiling face.

"I'm here to bring you a message, Kazekage- sama. It is about your bride, Hyuuga Hinata."

"What about her?" Gaara frowned again. It took several seconds for him to focus back on her words. Now he remembered what she was talking about. Hadn't he sent both Kankuro and Shikamaru to fetch his bride from Konoha several days ago?

"She went missing seven days ago. We got a report that she might have been kidnapped by a certain group. My Hokage sends an apology for the delay." The woman bowed her head.

"Explain the meaning of this kidnapping." Gaara put both of his intertwined hands on the table, thinking how the hell a strong force like Konohagakure could let a mere rebellious group kidnap a woman who came from the most prominent family in the village.

"She-, uh-, ran away from the village a day before your envoys had arrived. While Naruto sent a large group of ninjas searching for her, there was a report that someone from the village had witnessed that she was kidnapped by several men on the outskirts of the village forest.

"Right now Naruto, along with Kankuro and Shikamaru have joined the group. Naruto sent me to apologize to you for the delay that has been caused on our side. He said not to worry; the agreement between our villages is still on."

Gaara nodded at her quite detailed explanation. Tell that to the elders, he mused. The one who came up with the wedding plan was not him. After several months of the elders prodding him with the idea, he finally gave in and agreed to the terms that had been set by the elders. After all, the marriage was for convenience only. Besides, if the marriage could strengthen the already strong bond between the two villages, who was he to disagree? After all, the product of the marriage would be the perfect offspring that came from both prominent families of the villages. A truly exceptional benefit to Suna.

But still-, his gaze was turned back to the woman before him. Her explanation didn't include the reason for her presence here instead of the usual messenger. This low-class mission was obviously not for a high-status medic like her.

"And, the reason you are here?" He lifted his almost absent eyebrows.

"I came here at a request from Shikamaru-san. He was worried about the condition of his pregnant wife as he might not be able to be here if Temari-san gave birth earlier than the expected date."

Gaara nodded at her clear explanation. He knew that Shikamaru had requested several times for the presence of Konoha's head medic- ninja here. Temari was diagnosed with a complication in her pregnancy and was going to have a difficult birthing. None of his medics was skillful enough to ensure the safety of both mother and baby. Two of the medics had even dared to suggest an abortion, and as a result, Shikamaru had lifted each guy by his neck and sent them both flying like old sacks to the nearest wall. Temari, as stubborn as an old goat, was determined to keep her child. Now she was in her seventh month of pregnancy and had been waiting for the due date.

"Well then, thank you for coming. I will arrange your accommodation".

But Sakura shook her head. "That won't be necessary as Shikamaru invited me to stay at his house. "

"If that's the case, please ask the guard to show you where her house is."

The pink-haired woman took a bow again at his dismissal before leaving. The ugly brown robe she was wearing covered her body from his view, but it still couldn't conceal her beauty.

"Haruno-san." The woman stopped at the door and turned to him.

"Did you come here alone?" The question had been bothering him from the beginning. She just smiled and shook her head politely.

"No, of course not. I was actually escorted by two ANBU. They probably have already returned to Konoha by now. " Gaara nodded his head. She bowed again before closing the door behind her.

Gaara stared at the door for several seconds, letting his mind search for dimmed memories of his earlier years.

Haruno Sakura, a kunoichi from Leaf village. The small and thin girl who had soft pink hair like the color of sakura flowers blooming so vividly during Konoha's spring season. Those large and clear green eyes look like fresh wild grass showered with dewdrops in the morning breeze, -that he always gave a deep inhale whenever he came to visit Konoha village.

Naruto's former teammate and Kakashi's only female student. Not to mention she was Tsunade's medic-nin successor that had surpassed her master in dealing with poisons and medicines. All these years, she was still Naruto and Lee's love interest. But every ninja knew about the infamous story of her notorious outlaw lover. The special medic-jounin as well as the head of Konohan medical ninja who was well respected by the other villages.

Even though she was actually a prisoner in her own village...