12: Deceived

"How's my daughter, Haruno-san?" A short brown hair woman approached Sakura when she got out of the room. The woman looked so worried and tired with the dark circles under her eyes indicated her lack of sleep.

"She is safe and in a stable condition now. However..." Sakura could not continue her sentence. She led the woman to the bed.

"Kami-sama," the mother was nearly broken into sobs when she realized her daughter lay so lifeless and in a pitiful condition. Her body was heavily covered with a bandage, and the skin of her left neck was heavily damaged.

The mother was weeping openly when she realized her daughter would never be the same again. Sakura touched the mother's shoulder in sympathy.

"I shouldn't have left her. The fire was too fast. I could only snatch her baby brother." The woman sobbed.

"Don't worry, she will be okay." Sakura wrapped her arm around the woman to soothe her. "Everything is going to be alright."

"No, you don't understand, she will hate me." The woman sobbed again. "She will tell me that I abandoned her for her baby brother. You see, she is my first husband's child. He died two years ago. She still cannot accept her father's death. "The woman was leaning against Sakura's shoulder and crying aloud now. "When I remarry and have another child, Riko feels that I leave her behind."

Sakura stayed silent and let the mother pour out all her feelings. She tried not to grimace as her shirt was drenched with the woman's tears.

"Riko is always a troublesome kid. I know she wants my attention, but it is not easy to cater to all her whims when there is also her baby brother that I need to take care of."

The woman needed her support to face her daughter, Sakura realized.

"Listen," Sakura gazed directly at the woman's eyes. "I won't lie to you." She said. "Riko will have tremendous scars from the burn, and she will be facing a hard reality in her life. But, as her mother, you must give her moral support as she needs your love and attention."

The woman wiped her tears, "Yes, Haruno-san. She will be strong like her father." The woman blew her nose. "I'm sorry for wetting your shirt with my tears. I feel so embarrassed now."

Sakura smiled tenderly. "No, I don't mind."

"No, I should not do that. You are going to be the wife of my kage. I should show some respect to you."

Sakura didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. She just smiled instead. "It's okay."

"I should introduce myself earlier. My name is Miyako, an academy teacher. My husband, Tono, is a jounin of this village. He is with the baby right now." She took out a handkerchief and wiped her tears. "I was supposed to see you today, to discuss the undergrads' trip to the herbal house. However..." Miyako was in tears again.

"So, where do you live now?" Sakura tried to change the subject.

"We are staying at the temporary shelter that is provided by the Kage." Miyako smiled sadly. "The Kazekage takes his responsibility so well. He doesn't leave his people in a helpless condition. I'm so grateful for what he did for us." Miyako took her hands and held them firmly.

"The Kazekage chooses his woman so well. I honestly appreciate what you did to Riko, and I will never forget your advice. I will pay more attention to her, I promised."

————————————————————————————-

"The container has a high percentage of sulfur." Kankuro read the report. "It's enough to blow up the entire house."