Chapter Four

I inched forward, my side brushing against the bike shelter.

The sound of the gun had come from the old football stadium, about one hundred metres from where I was lying.

I probably could've escaped by now, but I wasn't risking anything. I dropped down even lower and began to army crawl just like we did at Physical at the Academy.

I felt Toby leaning against me as I moved. I imagined he was scared as well. But he was brave and he was ready to face anything for me.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps and immediately tightened my grip on the soggy stick. It wasn't much but it could end up sparing my life.

I stayed stock still. The footsteps continued. They were moving closer and closer. Close enough to hear that they were strange, it was unlikely that they were human.

I heard Toby stiffen as a low growl escaped his jaw. I nudged him, he was going to give away our position.

The steps of a clawed foot approached. I could feel the presence of a predator. Toby growled louder now. He moved away from side and let out a vicious bark.

Then all I heard was the rushing of four pairs of feet, two per animal and an almighty collision of dogs. One howled in pain and ran off, I just hoped that one wasn't Toby.

But I let out a sigh of relief as my best friend returned to my side.