Chapter one (+ mini prolouge)

Prologue

When maya was little she had hair gold as the sun. Her aunts had envied that hair. "Like a streak of gold it is" they had exclaimed over her "yellow as a flower" Maya had loved that hair. The way it shone, the feel of mother brushing it in the evenings, its softness as it shifted in the wind. But Maya didn't have golden hair anymore. All it had taken was a package of dollar store hair dye and the thing was done. Did she miss it? Sometimes. But she figured dark hair suited her better now. The sunny gold hair of her past had died with Leila. Maya had always figured that Leila had worn it better anyways.

                            Chapter one

Maya woke to a room full of voices. Groggy from sleep she pushed herself out of bed, rubbing her eyes. "We'll look who decided to show up!" Joked a rough voice. Maya blinked, vision clearing slowly, and slowly realized her dorm room was full of strangers- probably more of Isa's 'friends'... "it's 2pm what the heck were you doing last night?!" A brunette from the corner quipped. Maya flinched slightly, she'd been up with nightmares again but the was no way she was telling Isa that, she was never there enough to care anyways- "just- stuff" she replied in a guarded tone, swinging out of bed and grabbing a bagel "I have class" she lied- anything to get out of there. "Oh- okay- bye I guess." Isa said with a shrug, exchanging knowing glances with her companions. Maya ignored them and headed out the door, noticing too late that she was still in her raggedy cat pajamas with hair uncombed and life generally in shambles... Maya sighed deeply, internally facepalming, well. There was nothing to be done now, she could only hope no one saw her before she could sneak to june's to grab a change of clothes- the sentiment was useless however because the first thing Maya saw as she turned towards the stairs was a very confused looking male with dark glasses frozen on the top of the stairs.