A single tear fell

I honestly have no idea why I wrote this or for what purpose but I thought it was kind of interesting so here you go!

Dry leaves crinkled under his feet as he ran. The encroaching darkness was coming closer, he could smell it. The rancid stench emanating off the darkness wafted to him, it was tangible around him, slowly choking each breath out of him. His steps started to slow. It was coming closer. There was nothing he could do except surrender to it, to it's horrible evil. Finally his feet stopped their movements.

The forest around him felt him give up, lose his will to live, to save his life and his family's, and swallowed him whole. The darkness kept creeping closer, bringing with it death and despair. These feelings assaulted the man, slowly causing him to keel over into a fetal position where he fell. He closed his eyes, awaiting the imminent death coming for him. As the darkness closed around him, a single tear fell. A single tear fell for the starving family he is leaving behind, for the terror of meeting the omnipresent fate that awaits around each and every corner for us all, for every bad sin he now regretted as he faced death. But perhaps the worst of all was that not a soul believes that this can happen to them, that they too are just as vulnerable to the darkness.

A single tear fell.