41. Second chances

Katherine gasped and smacked him on the shoulder. "Elijah!"

"Sorry, Mama," he said, his achingly deep voice like music to my ears. He smiled and winked at me. "Because I'm the one supposed to be looking like shit, nearly dying and all that and look at you. You really have to beat me at everything, don't you, BumbleBee?"

I still couldn't process it.

"I'll leave you two alone," Katherine laughed, ruffling Elijah's hair affectionately before she smiled at me. "He's really awake, Julie."

It was like I hadn't even processed her words.

"Do you want me to hit you, pumpkin? Kinda having a problem with that since I have one broken arm and leg," he said cockily, smirking so smugly that I had a vivid urge to sock him in the face.

The anger was what finally made everything click in my mind.

"You asshole," I seethed, wrenching my hand out of his grip. He had the audacity to smile at me. "Who the hell do you think you are? Do you know how fucking worried I have been!?"

"Language, sweetheart," he tutted, making the urge to hit him only stronger. There was laughter in his eyes and something softer. Love.

He grinned at me when I gaped at his words. "Now, now, love. I know you missed me but you can tone down the lovin' in your eyes a bit."

"You fucking bastard." I lunged for him and that seemed to be exactly what he wanted because as soon as I had leant over him, he wrapped his good arm around me and pulled me over him, tubes and IV drips be damned.

And then he kissed me.

His lips moved feverishly over mine like I was the only drop of water in the desert. His hand was around the back of my neck, angling my head for him. And then I was kissing him back and my heart soared because he was okay and he was awake and he was kissing me and touching me and I never wanted this moment to stop. His fingers delved into my hair, hungry lips seeking more and more.

We broke away gasping but he didn't let go. He held me to him and stared up at me, that infuriating smirk that I loved so much, still sitting on his red, swollen lips. It made me want to crush myself to him and never let go. Didn't seem like he would have a problem with that.

"You gonna stare at me all day or confess your undying love to me since I nearly died and all?"

His aggravating words made me kiss him again and he responded eagerly, pulling me so close that I couldn't feel where he started and I ended.

When we pulled away for breath this time, I tucked my face into his neck, biting my lip hard to stop myself from crying again. And here I thought I had run out of tears. With him, that seemed nearly impossible.

"I love you too, BumbleBee. I love you too," he hummed, holding me to him.

Someone coughed behind us and I nearly sprung away from Elijah if not for his arm still around me. He refused to let go. I twisted myself around to see who had interrupted us.

Diego, Angelina and Olivia stared at us with cheeky grins on their faces.

"Well, would you look at this," Diego said dramatically, flourishing a hand towards us. "Even in a hospital room, they can't help themselves."

"What can I say, Dee? My charm's just that strong. Girls can't help but make-out with me even when I'm—" before he could finish his sentence, I pinched his ass and he yelled out. Hiding my smile, I tried to move, only to have his arm tighten around me.

Nope, he seemed to say. Not letting you go.

And I was perfectly okay with that.

"Hands to yourself, woman!" he exclaimed as the others laughed.