Prologue

Yvette Knight was the epic love of Oliver Queen's life.  As the daughter of a French heiress and an American media mogul, their  families had always had close ties, and the two had been raised side by side. Best friends since infancy, childhood puppy love turned high school sweethearts, everyone expected them to be engaged as soon as they finished college.  It never happened.  Instead, when Ivy returned to America after four years at Oxford, she came back with James Bishop on her arm, and his ring on her finger, and to Oliver Queen in bed with Laurel Lance.  Heartbroken by his ex-girlfriend's engagement, Oliver was quick to agree to join his father on the Gambit to go to China.  To his death.

Five years later, Oliver Queen is back from  the dead, and he hardly recognizes the world he's returned to.   The one thing he does recognize?  The family's publicist, the woman who  held his  family together through his death and now his resurrection,  none other than Ivy Knight herself.  Still engaged and still unmarried,  a bit older and sadder than she used to be, she's a dead man's dream come true.   And Oliver can't pretend that he's any less in love with her than he'd  ever been.

Disclaimer: I don't own Arrow or anything associated with it, I only own the idea for Ivy (and James) and the changes I've made from canon

WARNINGS: canon-typical violence, grief, mental illness

Faith Forgotten Land

Prologue

★★★

    Ivy Knight didn't fidget, thank you very much.  Fidgeting  was for people who were nervous or uncomfortable, and she was neither.   No, she was just... admiring her engagement ring.  Yes, that's why she  kept twisting her hands together.  She most certainly wasn't fidgeting  because of an uncomfortable feeling in her gut.

    "Yvette?" James asked, from his seat beside her in the limo.

     Ivy turned to look at him, offering him a charming smile.  His dark  eyes, always so intense, bore into hers, and she hoped that face didn't  betray her anxiety.

    "I'm alright, James," she assured him.

     And she was, really.  There wasn't anything wrong, save for a  general sense of unease that had left her rather on edge.  A remnant of  the childhood anxiety that she'd spent years trying to overcome.

     James smiled back at her, lifting her hand and kissing the back of  it, his cheek just barely brushing the edge of the large engagement ring  snug on her finger.

    "Have I told you how lovely you look tonight?"

    Ivy giggled, light and airy.  "Only three times."

    "Well, it certainly deserves to be said."

     Clad in a knee-length dress, tight through the top and flaring out  towards the bottom, Ivy was a vision of classic elegance.  The top of  the dress was white with a v-shaped neckline and ruffled straps while  the bottom half was a solid black, accentuating her toned legs down to  her open-toed black stilettos, while a silver chain with a single pearl  highlighted the length of her neck and her defined collarbone.  With her  dark hair curled to perfection, Ivy could just as well have been headed  to a fashion show, rather than a dinner reservation.