Chapter 4: Vaguely Bleak

"I crossed the line first!"

"I did!"

"No hyung! He didn't! Oi Jungkook don't lie in broad daylight!"

Seokjin sighed at the bickering of the teenagers, a sight more regular than stars in the sky for the pack. He ignored the chaos, bringing his attention back on to his talismans. The parchment lit up in flames in his hands, surprising him and the younger ones.

"Oop-! My bad, sorry!" The omega quickly doused it, slathering on some dirt for good measure.

"Did you get burnt?" Jimin inquired in concern.

Seokjin shook his head, "Nah, I misspelled it, that's all. I'm good."

Truth be told, he was indeed a bit distracted. Their Chief alpha was getting more and more unwell as the days went on and there was almost nothing anyone could do. How was he to focus on anything with such gloom on his mind?

"You guys, don't monkey around. I'm dropping by the pack house for a bit."

"Jin-hyung, I'll go with you?" Yoongi speed walked up to him, leaving behind the metal he was tinkering with. Seokjin smirked teasingly.

"Is there someone waiting for you, Yoongi-hyung?" Jungkook teased, followed by Hoseok and Taehyung adding fuel to the fire. The alpha ignored them, already walking in the definite direction. Seokjin laughed, running to catch up to the younger, falling into a stride beside him, ruffling the alpha's hair.

"Such a sensitive child. Who could guess the bad boy of Silver Shadow is so shy?"

"Very funny, hyung. Ha ha."

The smack talk lasted all the way up to the pack house but the sombre air upon entering there stopped the two mid-sentence.

The usually bright place seemed too gloomy like no sunshine was entering the walls of the building. The chatters and hustle-bustle of their fellow shifters did not liven up the confines as they usually did.

"Hyung..." Jin barely balanced himself at the suddenness of having his arms full of the beta. He held the younger securely, rubbing his back in an attempt to console the agitated boy.

"Jiminie, what's wrong? What happened?" Seokjin asked softly, not wanting to cause more damage to an already miserable child.

"Dada," Jimin sniffled, face still hidden in Seokjin's neck while the omega let out calming pheromones, "He's not getting better, Hyung. He looks... he looks so bleak, Hyung, like he already gave up. Why is he not getting well? I want dada back..."

Seokjin stood comforting the child while his own heart shattered. The light of their pack was in such a delicate state, nearly withering away while all of them were helpless bystanders. Here was Jimin, barely a teenager, begging for his father to be alright but having to watch him deteriorate. He, himself, felt suffocated having to watch the man who saved him and gave him a second chance at life wilt away, his ever-bright light dimming, the red string holding their pack wearing down. He did not wish to admit it, but they were close to losing their chief.

"Where's your brother?"

"Namjoonie Hyung's with dada. He's been asking for him more– more frequently now, always trying to frantically explain all the pac– pack matters to Joonie Hyung."

Seokjin nodded in silent understanding. "Have you gone to see Chief yet?"

"I have. Dada asked for you guys. I was on my way to go get you all."

"I'll go see Chief," the omega caressed Jimin's shoulder, "You go get the others, alright?"

Jimin nodded, taking one last hug and bracing himself, rubbing his face to rid of the sadness on his face. He was stopped by Yoongi.

"I'll go with you, c'mon."

"Thank you, Hyung."