Chapter 2: Devon Pierce

The sky was speckled with glowing dots, some blue, some white, but all magnificent. I envied the stars. They roamed freely as the world slept, dancing in the midnight sky. Amidst the stars was the Lyra constellation. Whenever I saw it, I was reminded of my sixth year astronomy teacher, Lyra Vega Todd. She always said that stars tell their own stories. Each one has their own memories, experiences, and names. Her favorite was the Lyra constellation, which I never truly understood. From what I could see, the constellation was small. It painted no picture and told no story, but it wasn't the astronomy that enticed her, it was the mythology. In her family, it was believed that anyone whose name is shared with that of a star is destined for excellence in both life and whatever comes after. Ms. Todd died later that year. Normally, I would feel for her family, having just lost someone so close to them, but it was different. They weren't saddened in any way, instead, they were almost relieved. They said she was now "one with the stars". I didn't believe them until they showed me the Lyra constellation in its usual location containing a star I had never seen before. They said that it was Vega star, that it was Ms. Todd. Whether it was true or not, believing that the freedom of a star is what to expect in the afterlife brought comfort to the inevitability of death.

The sound of footsteps approaching brought my attention away from the stars. I could see Alea and Griffin approaching from the back exit of the Facility. They could barely make it five feet without their usual bickering back and forth.

"Hope we didn't keep you waiting too long." Alea said, finally arriving at the bottom of the hill. The wind began to pick up, blowing Alea's ash blonde hair beautifully. As much as I loved her, I hated how perfect she was. Perfect hair, perfect body, perfect everything.

I redirected my attention towards Griffin, "So why are we here?" I asked.

"You two are going to break me into the archive, help me find the files I need, and voila! Off with her head!" Almost immediately, Griffin was struck with confusion and sudden realization, "Queen Amryn. Not either of you. Just so you know." He ended his statement with an awkward smile and waited for someone else to lead the conversation.

"As great as that sounds, it's going to get us all arrested," I said, "Here..." I pulled a rolled sheet of paper from the pocket of my slightly faded leather jacket. "This is a map of Aldaine. On the back is a blueprint of the archive along with the shift schedule for the royal guard tonight." I looked up from the map, which I had rolled out onto the grass, to see Alea and Griffin in utter shock. Was it so unbelievable that I could be prepared for something and not rely solely on my razor sharp instincts?

"You planned this all in a few hours?" Alea questioned.

"I've been planning this for a few months but I never had the opportunity to follow through with it until now." I continued to explain my plan. "So we go to the tunnels, get inside the archive, find the files, and get out?" Griffin questioned. I nodded in agreement, "Sounds about right." I paused for a moment, "Before we go, what are you looking for?"

Griffin looked back at me like he had expected me to ask but hoped I didn't. "Something about whatever they're doing here isn't right. Whether that's because of the Facility or Aldaine as a whole, I'm not sure. But I'm looking for anything to prove something."

I had been thinking the same. Something about the life we lived was wrong. Our lives were a mystery we couldn't solve. As much as I wanted the answers Griffin was searching for, they weren't worth the risk of being arrested and exiled.

"There's nothing else? I want to help, I do, but I can't risk everything for those secrets." I was fully ready to back out of our spur of the moment heist until Griffin's smile turned to a smirk. "What is it?" I asked.