Gaming Culture part 1

Over the years gaming has evolved from an elitist past time that few enjoyed or something to keep kids entertained in the mall to a real part of modern day life.

Most folks can remember spending their time and tokens in an arcade, many remember spending hours playing the latest console or PC game, and a few less remember the hours upon hours of pen and paper war games or role playing.

Today, in the 21st century, gaming is a part of most everyone's life. Be it the 2 year old learning colors and shapes to those advanced in age 'bowling' with one of the many console games available or keeping their mind sharp with the latest puzzle games. There is truly something for everyone, even the most stalwart of anti-gamers out there are finding items like Personal Trainer: Cooking, Math and Walking* for the Nintendo* DS* and the Wii* Fit* franchise are a temptation for them. Even those that don't 'game' can be part of the fun now, improving their flexibility in both body and mind, whether it's learning something new, or just getting a little exercise.

And along with the increased availability in games and the types of games available, a gaming culture has emerged that includes many sub genre and the widest range of age groups ever before witnessed.

A few of the gaming genres available at modern day book stores like Powell's* include board and card games, miniature and dice games, along with entire sections devoted to role playing games from 2 versions of the World of Darkness* by White Wolf*, to over 4 versions of Dungeons and Dragons* by TSR*, now WOTC*. In dedicated gaming stores you can find even more with computer and console games becoming available as well as the large variety of alternative games produced from manufacturers like Steve Jackson Games* and Cheap Ass Games*.

Those of us that 'grew up' with D&D are considered the old timers, but here we are in 4th edition and the game is more popular than ever before. The generation after 'us' have grown up with video console games, much to the chagrin of the 'games rot your brains' groups, folks from that generation have amazing hand eye coordination and troubleshooting skills that can be used in everything from PC repair to soldering.

So gaming is here to stay, along with the gamers themselves whether they be young or older. Thank goodness so much research has been done to prove the naysayers wrong. With modern day gaming becoming such a lucrative business to enter, creating a career from the gaming you love is also a real possibility. Companies like Instant Action who produces an amazing game engine that was used in Braid* and the newest updates of Monkey Island(tm) are right here in Portland and offer a way to make a living doing something you really love if you have the software skills to compete. Wouldn't it be great to prove the folks that told you that games are a waste of time wrong with a job in the gaming industry?