11

Because of the fun and thrilling day I had with Yeji the other day, I was able to sleep on my soft bed with a big smile on my face.

Yeji made me realize that you can still have fun and be happy without hurting or stepping on someone. She taught me that nobody heals by hurting another.

Now, while sitting on my chair and enjoying the colorful view outside while waiting for our vacant time to end, I started smiling like an insane person.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder that melted my smile and my reverie.

I looked at the person standing besides me. I raised my right eyebrow while looking at my friend. "What?" I asked while looking at my friend who has a serious look on her face.

Hyunjin smiled at me. "Ryujin, Heejin is bullying Minju in the bathroom. You should come and join." She said.

My friend was obviously desperate. I can tell that they are bored when I don't hangout with them. I am like the boss and the mastermind of our group. I always think of who to bully and what stupid stuff to do.

She looked at me with her puppy eyes trying to convince me, but unfortunately, her trick didn't work.

I shook my head as a reply making my friend pout. "I am going to hangout with Yeji." I said and smiled at my friend.

Hyunjin furrowed her eyebrows and stomped the ground with her foot with a pout. She clenched her fists and took out her tongue to mock me. "Alright. Keep hanging out with that boring beanie girl!" She said and walked away.

I chuckled and sat down properly while watching my friend walk with a little bit of anger.

Suddenly, Hyunjin bumped onto Yeji who is holding a piece of paper on her hands.

I was a little nervous that Hyunjin might land a punch on Yeji because she was obviously in a bad mood. I slowly stood up from my seat.

Hyunjin threw a glance at me. I'm sure that she noticed that I am watching her every movement. Hyunjin looked at Yeji who was just staring at her. "What are you looking at?!" Hyunjin yelled that startled Yeji.

Yeji slightly bowed her head. "I'm sorry." She apologized

Hyunjin rolled her eyes. "Whatever." She walked away.

I let out a sigh of relief as Hyunjin didn't punch or slap or hurt Yeji. If my friends ever lay a finger on Yeji, I will end our friendship and ignore them for the rest of my life.

I sat down on my chair while looking at Yeji who has a big smile on her face. "Hey." I waved my hand.

Yeji walked towards me and sat down on the empty chair besides me. "Ryujin, your friend is really scary." She said.

"Don't worry. If she ever hurts you, I will beat her up." I gave Yeji a pat on the head. "I will always protect you, Yeji." I said.

The smile on Yeji's face grew bigger. "Even if someone is about to stab me to the heart? you will be there for me?"

I nodded. "Yep. I will always protect you and your precious smile." I gave her a tap on the nose.

Yeji let out a small giggle that I find adorable. Yeji sat down properly and showed me the paper she is holding in her hands. "Ryujin, look at this."

The paper she was holding looked like a train ticket. There was a picture of a little train logo and a picture of a city that looks like Gwangju.

"What is that? are you leaving?" I asked with a hint of worry.

Yeji laughed at me. "No, silly." She replied. "This weekend, I want you to come with me to Gwangju." Yeji said.

My eyes widened. "W-what? With your other friends? Yeji, I don't think Lia and Chaeryeong likes me." I said.

"Don't worry. It's just the two of us."

My heart started jumping up and down out of happiness and excitement as those words escaped Yeji's mouth. I struggled to say a word as I was a little shocked.

"S-sure!" I happily said.

--

"You know, you should tell your friends to stop bullying." Yeji said while sitting down across me.

Yeji decided to bring me to a dessert shop and eat some ice cream. I looked at the food that Yeji ordered on our table. It was a banana with chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and strawberry ice cream with a cherry on top.

I picked up my spoon and scooped the vanilla ice cream, my favourite flavor. I rested the right side of my face on my clenched fists as I ate the ice cream without hesitation.

I was happily eating vanilla while thinking for a reply to Yeji's question. "Alright." I said. "I'll beat them up and ask them to stop bullying weak people."

Yeji pouted and slammed her spoon on the table that startled me. "I don't like violence." She crossed her arms, scrunched her nose, and furrowed her eyebrows.

I chuckled and gently put my spoon on the table. "Why?"

"Ryujin, promise me that you will never hurt someone or I will end our friendship." She threatened me.

I let out a small laugh at Yeji. "Alright. Calm down." I said while looking at Yeji's annoyed face.

The angry look on Yeji's face was adorable. She looked like a cat.

"Alright. I will stop using my fists for you." I promised.

The distressed expression on Yeji's face formed into a happy look. Yeji rested her jaw on her clenched fists and looked at me with her luminous eyes.

"Cool!" She said. "Anyways, do you like the ice cream I bought?"

I let out a nod. "I like it. Why do you always want to eat? do you want to get fat or you want me to get fat?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I just want to eat different foods before I die." Yeji replied.

My mood changed dramatically. Hearing the words "before I die" from Yeji is as painful as getting stabbed with a burning dagger.

I was having so much fun with her that I forgot the fact that she was suffering from cancer. Yeji didn't show me more details about her illness. I don't have a clue if she's fine or her brain cancer is getting worse.

Yeji is always joyful and happy. She always act as if there's nothing wrong so I assumed that everything is fine.

I let out a small smile at Yeji. I decided to cherish every moment with her.

"Yeji, I promise you that we will have so much fun in Gwangju."