3

(Work Outfit Above)

The hospital stench was the last thing I wanted to smell. Being here almost every week does bring terrifying familiarity to me, even though I was forced to come here as a young girl because of what was happening at my orphanage. Looking down at the protruding tubes on my arms, I could feel a rising panic threaten to overtake me. This was the last place I wanted to be at the moment. I wanted to get away from him. I just had to. The room was too quiet. Something was definitely off. The door opened and in walked, the man who put me in the hospital in the first place.

His evil smile sent a shiver of fear down my spine. Making his way toward me, he grabbed my arms and pinned them over my head. Helplessly, I watched as his face leaned toward my ear, his breath reeking of vodka.

"I got you now, right where I want you," he murmured, smirking against my trembling face.

Before he could say or do anything more, Rubens face appeared out of the fog.

"Lex!" Ruben half whispered, shaking me out of my stupor

"It was just a dream"

I sat up, wiping my eyes. Concern was etched onto Ruben's face as his brown eyes bore into mine. All I could think about was the man I saw in my dream. I looked away from that brown gaze.

"Ruben," I began, "I saw Mike in my dream. He was there in all of his glory. He told me he had me right where he wanted me. I could not do anything about, I was frozen stiff!" Rubens face grew more serious. I crawled to the edge of the bed where Ruben sat, and cried into his chest. Ruben slowly wrapped his arms around my petite frame.

"You know you are a higher need target for Mike now since you work at NEN you know that?" I lifted my tear-stained face to his. "I understand Ruben." I murmured. "I took this job for the protection and security I received in return." Ruben turned to look at me, his brown eyes seeped with concern and worry. We sat in silence, Ruben holds my body close to his chest. When my digital alarm at my bedside went off at 6:00 AM, Ruben stood up. Turning around to face me he pulls me up so I'm standing

"It's 6am Lex. You get ready, I'll cook"

"But I..."

"No Buts" Ruben interjects and walks away. Smiling under my breath, I made my way to the bathroom and quickly got myself ready for the day. Putting on my clothes (above) I hurried out to the kitchen, smelling the heavenly smell of my favorite omelette frying.

"I didn't know you could cook," I joked, as I came out. Settling down my kitchen stool, I watched Ruben effortlessly flip the omelettes. Did I mention he was a total cutie.

"Could cook ever since I could talk. People say I make the best food," he boasted, sliding a plate of omelets towards me. I smiled at him before taking a bite out of the food.

"This... is delicious" Ruben gave me a big grin

"I'm glad you like it Lex,"

I finished quickly and fished out my keys. I gave Ruben a peck on his cheek and before he could even say a word, I shut the door behind me. Leaning back on the door.

Before I knew it, I was pulling up to NEN. The glass skyscraper towered over all the quickly moving inhabitants. I gazed up in awe as I entered. NEN never got old.

 I quickly headed to my office on the top floor and set up shop for the day ahead

Nothing except one big meeting at 11 am, I thought with relief as I got started on my daily tasks for the day.

When the time came, I found myself in the conference room, full of men. As the presentations began, I could feel the men's wandering gazes on me.

Trevor stood up and walked to the front of the room. The lead analyst's frame towered over all of us in the room as he swept his gaze across all present. I watched as he talked, listening intently to every word he said about NEN and the state of finances it was in.

Feeling emboldened, I decided to speak up. I met each one of their gazes before I spoke.

"I believe that as a company, we are not representing the best interests of our clients." I began. "For too long, this company as been too focused on profit. This shall not be the case anymore under my leadership," Placing my hands on the conference table, I met held each one of their gazes.

"Well, what do you suggest we do Lexi?" Karl demanded, his eyes challenging me.

"Well Karl, I was thinking that to change the belief that the company, we need to go to where the clients are and apologize, asking for their business back. I feel like this is a crucial step forward for NEN so we are not just seen as New York High Elite but actually for the people who matter, the online customer who believes in the American dream." Leaning backward on my heels, I watched as all the men turned to each other, muttering among themselves, deliberating my idea"

I thought this would be a resounding yes. I thought. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Karl stand up

"I think that is a wonderful idea Lexi. You will be the one to spearhead this operation."

As the meeting adjourned, Trevor came over to me and murmured "I will see to it that the key stakeholders are informed of your decision," I nodded and left the meeting, carrying my briefcase full of lost client information back to my desk.

As I eyed all the lost information, I suddenly realized what I had gotten myself into. I was going to go on a potentially long trip, away from the people I had loved, and that scared me. I had never really considered the ramifications for my mental state, and what I was thinking was not good. I was going to leave my comfort zone as soon as I left New York, something I was not ready for.

Sighing, I got back to work. At half past 7, I closed down shop. As I was gathering my things, I felt a presence at the door. Trevor was perched, arms folded, staring at me.

"Is there something that you need?" I asked.

"No, I just wanted to say goodbye,"

"Well, Goodbye," I joked and moved towards the door. For a moment, we were nose to nose. Nervously, I licked my lips. After a few awkward moments, he stepped aside, letting me hurry through and on to the elevator.

When I arrived at my penthouse. I saw Ruben laying on the couch. I could tell right away that he was watching Scandal.

"Wow Ruben, couldn't even wait for me huh?" Ruben quickly paused the TV and came over, and gave me a bear hug.

"Lex, come watch with me." I slipped off my shoes and let Ruben lead me to the couch. I cuddled next to him and he pressed play.

———-
Thanks for reading this part. Kinda a filler but I'm improving little by little.
If you liked it vote and share. If not that's ok, there's more to come.