Chapter III

My first class of the day was modern, then I had ballet, and then music theory, which was mandatory for every first year to take. The administrative staff always says that music theory helps students understand music, dance, and drama better, but I think it's just their way of forcing us to make friends in other programs. My modern class wasn't the most exciting class, it was the first day so it was kind of just focused on getting to know everybody, but the teacher was really nice. She's on the brink of crazy, but that's to be expected from a modern dance professor. My ballet class was a different story. We had a strict, Russian professor who could probably snap me in half if I ever did anything wrong. I honestly didn't expect anything less, but I was a little nervous as I didn't have as much experience with Russian ballet. I had been training with the Cecchetti method since I was four years old, and I only just started learning Russian ballet a few years ago. I auditioned for this school with a Russian variation so I couldn't have been that bad, but that thought still didn't help me feel any less anxious.

Most of the ballet class went well until about the last quarter. I was doing a combination down the room when I looked out the window and saw a face that could never be confused with anybody else. Oliver was watching me dance. I immediately forgot how to move any of my body parts, and froze right in the middle of the floor. I was still frozen when the pianist stopped playing and Oliver started to walk away. I could hear the professor's heels scraping the floor and getting closer to me. I was now, not only frozen due to being caught off guard but I was also paralyzed in fear. My professor, Kiska Ivanov, walked around me slowly, and finally stopped to meet my eyes.

"What are you doing?" She said calmly, although it was quite intimidating.

"Um I'm really sorry, I uh- I just got nervous." I really had no idea what else to say.

"Focus, or get out of my class. You aren't as strong as the other students. If you want to stay at this school you'll need this class so you can get better. You should probably go on a diet too. " Her words cut me like knives, and I could feel the tears building up in my eyes. I knew I wasn't as good as everybody else, and that I could be skinnier, but I didn't think she would humiliate me and let everyone know.

"I can be better, I promise." I was whispering. I could hardly get any words out.

"Stop crying. Get out of my class, and come back tomorrow when you have yourself together." I didn't want to be in there anymore anyway. I quickly ran over to grab all of my stuff and got out of there as fast as I could, only to burst into tears as soon as the door shut behind me. I sat against the wall, unable to move. I could hear people walk past me, but I just kept my head in my hands, too afraid to look up.

Eventually, I got myself up and back to my dorm to get cleaned up. I didn't particularly want to show up to my music theory class on the first day looking like an absolute wreck. I passed Oliver in a random hallway on my way but didn't bother to make eye contact. He's going to think I do nothing but cry. I walked into my room and Kayla was sitting on her bed doing homework. She looked up and greeted me with a smile, which quickly faded to a look of sincere concern.

"Oh my god, what happened? Are you ok?" She seemed to genuinely care. I didn't feel like talking about it so I just nodded and bent down to get clothes from my still packed suitcase. I stood up and she still had the same look on her face. I wanted her to stop staring and leave me alone. Her expression then melted into a look of realization. "Ivanov?" I nodded and laughed, still unable to speak. She stepped closer so she could hug me. "I had her for freshman year too," She said, now rubbing my back, "She pretty much told me to stop eating or quit ballet." I let out a sob of relief now knowing I'm not the only one.

"I'm sorry. I'm a mess." I told her as I pulled away. She wiped a tear from my face and gave me a comforting smile.

"Don't worry about it. Everything's gonna be fine. Now go get changed, you're going to be late." I felt like I had a big sister.

After getting changed, I made my way to music theory. I walked in the door and stopped in my tracks as I noticed Oliver sitting in the front right corner of the lecture hall. I didn't really want to talk to him at the moment, but I forced myself to. I wanted him to stay in my life. I walked across the lecture hall and took the seat right beside him. He had earbuds in so he didn't notice me until I sat down. When he looked up he gave me a friendly smile, but then realized it was me.

"Hi," He said almost breathlessly, "are you ok? I noticed you were upset earlier." I was hoping he didn't ask me this question. I didn't know what to tell him.

"Yeah, I'm ok," I tried to fake a smile, "it was just my scary, Russian, ballet teacher." I laughed awkwardly at my own joke that wasn't even funny. It was just a fact.

"Ah, I see." He seemed a little bit uncomfortable. I don't blame him. "So, Sunshine. What can't you do?"

"Um, what?" I laughed.

"You play piano, you can dance, what can't you do?"

"Math," I said quite confidently. He laughed much harder than I expected him to. Apparently, I'm funny too.

Our music theory class started, and our professor seemed nice, however it seemed as though every teacher at this school was a little bit chaotic in their own way.

"Where are you from?" Oliver asked as we walked out of the lecture hall.

"I'm from a really small town in northern Ontario," I told him.

"I figured you weren't a city girl." I wasn't really sure what that was supposed to mean.

"Where are you from?" I asked him. He looked down at me and smiled.

"I was born and raised in northern Italy," he told me, "I lived there up until about three years ago when I moved to New York for more opportunities." I was in awe. I could barely move here from Canada, and he moved here from a completely different continent.

"That's insane," I said, genuinely shocked.

"It wasn't really that big of a deal, I mean I obviously miss my family sometimes, but I still go home to visit. My parents probably don't even miss me with all of my siblings running around my house." He told me nonchalantly.

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked him, still shocked.

"Nine." He said with a shrug, "My grandmother also lives with us, so it does get pretty chaotic sometimes I must admit." At this point, my jaw must have been on the floor and I could not have picked it back up if I tried. "How many siblings do you have?" He asked me.

"None, I'm an only child."

"Well, that explains the look on your face." We both laughed. "Hey, why don't I show you around, I'll take you to some of my favourite places around the city." He suggested.

"I would absolutely love that," I replied.

"Great, it's a date. Meet me at the piano in an hour." With that, he winked at me and walked away.