6

I laid on the couch for several hours, just lazing around and trying not to move my head to much. But after so long of being half awake and getting no actual sleep, I gave up and grabbed my phone. I mindlessly scrolled through my various notifications for a few minutes before getting bored and risking a trip up to my bedroom to get a book. Our house wasn't all that big, although I wouldn't considered exsactly small either. Either way though, it took me far longer to get up the two flights to get to my attic bedroom then it should've. The first thing I noticed when I flipped up the trap door was the old wooden box still on the floor next to my bed.

Upon seeing it, a hand wandered to my chest. To the place where the pendant that had previously been in that box had laid against my skin. I didn't remember taking the necklace off but it was very clearly not still around my neck.

I shrugged it off, assuming it had fallen off at some point throughout the night.

I trudged over to my overflowing bookshelf and drew my fingertips across the spines. I thought about picking up some of the ones I'd started and never finished but... I ended up pulling one off the self that had yet to be opened. I had bought it a week ago and was excited to read it but then got distracted by various things and never got around to it.

Going back down the latter and then the stairs to get back to the couch somehow took longer then getting up to my bedroom the first time. I gently eased myself back into my spot on the couch again and just laid their for a few mimutes to let my still lingering headache fade away a little bit before takking a long drink of water and opening my book to the first page.

~𝔻𝔸~

Hours and hours later, I hadn't realized how long I'd been buried in my book when there was beeping at the door, indicating someone putting in their code. Connie barked like a lunatic and ran to see who was coming in. My ears were then bombarded with the common argueing voices of my siblings. I sighed internaly and went back to my reading, hoping they'd quiet down soon.

"Hey Bella," was Leo's confised voice, "How come your home before us today? The high schoolers don't get out of school for another half an hour."

"I wasn't feeling good so I cam home early," I said hoarsely. Kaylie immediately dropped her bag in the middle of the walk way and ran over to me.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I've just got a headache. It's making me dizzy."

"Oh no." Kay responded as the same time Leo said, "That sucks."

"Yeah, it does," I told my adoptive brother.

After Kaylie had assured herself that I wasn't in mortal danger, she headed towards the kitchen with her twin to have their afternoon snack. Meanwhile, I was not at all bothered to continue on with my reading.

Another hour and a half passed before Pamela and Michael got home and the wonderful smell of melted butter and mushrooms filled the house. Pamela allowed me to have my dinner in the living room after I struggled for ten minutes to get up off the couch without getting so dizzy that my vision blacked out.

I ate what I could of the sautéed mushrooms and steak with noodles but wasn't actually able to finish most of it. My family understood and thankfully let me be for the rest of the evening. That was until about nine thirty when Pam came over to sit next to me with a very serious expression. I knew what she wanted to talk about and had been dreading this conversation since I left school this morning.

"So about tomorrow," Pam started. We were meant to leave for a trip a few hours south of us for spring break. We all had something there this week that we couldn't miss. Leo was doing a summer camp a few miles out of that city, Kay was having her annual visit with an old friend who had moved away years ago, and Pam and Michael were meeting with a man to see about opening up another restaurant and creating a chain.

"What were you thinking?" I asked, attempting to gauge the situation.

"Well if your not feeling well enough to go, then we can't go."

"No, no that wouldn't be fair to the rest of you. It wouldn't be right for everyone to stay home and miss everything they've been waiting to do. Leo has been waiting for years to get into this camp, This is the only time Kaylie ever gets to see her friend, and you and Michael may not ever get another chance like this."

"But I can't just leave you home alone for a week."

"Pam," I said softly, looking my adoptive mother in the eye. "I'll have graduated high school in just over a year. I can survive being left home by myself for a while." She watched me for a long few seconds before speaking.

"Are you sure? I just feel awful leaving you all alone when your not feeling well." She looked down, fidgeting with her fingers.

"I'll be alright. I can cook for myself and order anything to the house that I might need. And Evan's family isn't going anywhere so if I really need anything their always happy to deal with me." Another moment passed and eventually Pam gave in. She stood from her seat next to me and leaned over to press a tender kiss to my forehead.

"Alright. When your father and I call or text, you answer immediately. Do you understand?" She looked me dead in the eye as she spoke.

"Yes Ma'am."

"Okay. I'll have to run to the store tonight then since we'll be leaving early in the morning. You should probably get to bed though. Do you want me to help you get up the stairs or would you rather sleep down here?" I thought it over for a few seconds but decided it'd probably be better to sleep in my own bed.

"I think I'll try getting up the stairs." I said with determination. Thankfully, my headache had receded enough to where it only took about fifteen minutes to get up to my bedroom. Pam bid me goodnight and told me that she would leave food in the fridge and instructions on the counter. I thanked her numerous times before she left my room.

At that point, there was nothing more blissful then stripping down and sliding beneath my sheets.

I was asleep within only a few minutes.