022.

"you can be honest with me." emiko looked at him. "i won't be hurt, i promise. but i need to know before i explain everything."

to be honest, kuroo planned on asking y/n out earlier today, but every time he was about to ask she would say something about kenma. kenma this, kenma that. when would it ever be about kuroo? when would she ever have a conversation with him without bringing up his best friend? when would y/n ever look at him like she does kenma? when would y/n ever love him like she loves kenma?

"i haven't. i never did. not fully, at least."

emiko smiled at the response, "that's good to hear. i never moved on from you either."

the pair shut the car doors and walked into the lobby of the hotel. as they were waiting in the elevator because emiko was staying on the 10th floor, she asked him another question.

"do you want to have kids? or well, a child?" she got suspiciously fidgety here and kuroo noticed it but he didn't think anything of it.

"totally. i want about three." he smiled, grabbing her hand.

"three? isn't that a bit too much? how about two?" she raised an eyebrow at him.

"two is good as well." he paused. "it would be nice to have a kid, or multiple kids, to share my love with. not all my loving charms can go to my significant other, y'know?"

"you haven't changed a bit. i love that about you."

ding!

"we're here." emiko said, smiling at the people who were coming into the elevator as they exited.

"you know these people?" kuroo questioned. "i've never seen you smile at random citizens."

"not really, but they're nice to me. plus, you know i'm a sucker for old people." she got closer to whisper into his ear, "they give me candies sometimes. the caramel ones are my favorite." she giggled slightly.

"oh, really? i thought mint was still your favorite candy."

emiko began to unlock her room, "hmm, mint is a close favorite now. le- i mean, one of my friends gave me a caramel candy and it forever changed my life."

the door made a sound, signaling that it would unlocked and they walked in.

grand. that was the only word kuroo could use to describe it.

"do you want something to drink? i have champagne, water, sodas, juices. any of those pique your interest?"

"i'm fine for now. let's get to what we came here for." kuroo sat down on the bed and emiko followed. they sat in silence for a minute until she took out her phone.

"i'm going to start by showing you a few pictures. this might be a bit surprising to you, but you're a pretty understanding guy so i don't think i'll lose you after this."

she scrolled through he albums until she found the one named 'leo and me.'

"leo? who's-"

"shh, just look."

emiko let kuroo take her phone and observe the photos. she was with a kid in all of them. a kid who looked around the age of 3, a little boy, kuroo assumed. he started at the older photos. when leo was first born and emiko was staring at him like he was the most important thing in the world, his first trip to disneyland, the video of him saying his first word, him learning how to walk. emiko was there with him every step of the way. and the more pictures and videos he saw as leo aged, the more he started to look like his father. kuroo only knew that because leo looked nothing like emiko. the only feature they had in common was the way their dimples would pop out when they smiled.