Chapter 2: The Decision

Akiza was taken to the backyard and was beaten relentlessly and came home with scars on her face and back, tears in her eyes. “ How could they be so thoughtless to me”, Akiza asked her reflection in a puddle of water, staring at her red hair and green eyes. It was then she had to make a decision. Akiza went into her drawer and brought out a pair of scissors.

“Good-bye,” she whispered as she cut her hair. “But just know this isn’t your fault.” Snip, snip, snip the hair goes. Then, she went into the drawer and got two amber - colored contacts and put them gently on her eyes.“Now I must get new clothes for me to wear, “she said. She got her money and purse and went shopping. Little did she know that Genea was watching her do it and listening to her conversation.  The next morning, she went outside, into the sun, looking like a whole new woman.

  The next morning, she went outside, into the sun, looking like a whole new woman

“I did a good job, but now I must plan to pack my stuff and leave at midnight.” Akiza whispered sadly, knowing that she will never get to see her family again because there will be no way Genea will come with her. Akiza’s eyes welled with tears of sorrow. Later that night, Akiza packed up silently to not arouse her little sis.

“Where are you going, big sis?” mumbled sleepy Genea. “Away. Far, far away.” Akiza replied and proceeded to pack her belongings. “Why?” Genea asked, broadly conscious now and ears open to listen. “ Well, I need to get away from this cruel town. I can’t believe I’m asking but, would you like to accompany me?” Akiza asked with a jumbled face of concern and hope. “Sure. I would love to. Where will we go?” Genea says, excited to go.

“ We will go to New Domino, the biggest city there is,” Akiza said. They were both excited that they almost cheered too loud. And a few minutes later, they went off to the pâtissier and told them what they were doing and she let them have the food free. Then they went away the two sisters, into the unknown world. ” We will find a better life.” Akiza thought when the cab arrived. In the distance, there was the same ragged boy in a buttoned jacket with orange round gemstones all over, a yellow mark on his left cheek, and the bluest of eyes, looking over the branches and at a twist of a leaf, he was gone as mysteriously as he arrived.