07/15/2021

One of my biggest flaws is how much I cave for the people I love, something I inherited from my mom, the biggest push-over I know.

All we ever had was small lapdogs who never shed, and two was already more than my mother wanted. However, with a little convincing and a YouTube video, I ended up with Poe, an Australian shepherd who sheds so much, I still find remnants of him around my house even though I live over 1,000 miles away.

Funnily enough, a dog was my most recent downfall.

Let me point out all of the reasons I should have said no:
-We didn't ask our landlords if it was okay to have a second dog.
-Our landlords informed us they wanted to sell the house we currently live in, meaning we may have to move, meaning we would have to find a place that will accept not only two dogs, but two pitbulls.
-I shouldn't be spending more money on an animal.
-She's already six months old, making it more difficult to now teach her her new name, to like her brother Tuck, and to not use the bathroom in the house.

Now, while one may think:

"Wow, if I was her I would wait on another dog, that's the smart thing to do."

When have I ever claimed I was smart?

What Isaiah wants, Isaiah gets, leading us to now having a female named Critter.
And while it seems like I have made an incredibly irresponsible and stupid decision, I already love her deeply.

Some guy was offering her for free, stating she was up to date on all of her shots and that he just hadn't been able to sell her.  Her siblings were all spotted while she is simply black, making them more desirable and her the outcast.

It sounded like a great deal to us: a free dog who's already received the necessary vet care.
Who wouldn't take him up on his offer?

But of course, "things that sound too good to be true, most likely are."

Her ears were infested with ticks, one points north while the other points east, and there's something on her eye that resembles a third iris.
She's never been in a car, worn a collar, or been on a leash.  She's weary of everything, cowering down to the ground and army-crawling the moment she decides the situation she is in is terrifying.

But my god is she the most loving.

From the moment we've brought her home, I can't sit down without her forcing her way in to my lap.  She pushes against me as if just touching isn't enough for her, she wants her and I to be one.  I've always wanted a dog who would cuddle and I have surely found it.
It's crazy how much she trusts and loves us already, but I think she can feel what we can: she's home.