Prologue

In the cold alleyways of Twolegplace, it was not always quiet. Most would hear the screeching of a Monster's paws, while others would avoid any place that had dogs barking their heads off.

Around this time, when no other cat dared to go out, was when alley cats known as BloodClan loved to hunt.

In the protection of the night, it made them feel more powerful and more feared.

One such cat that was feared the most was Scourge.

He was a hunter of the shadows, a ruler of everything and the one who would challenge all who dared to enter his territory.

When he was younger, he enjoyed the bright, sunlight days.

But those times had ended long ago, ever since he learned the harsh truth of reality.

The only thing that brought him enjoyment was hunting alone. Listening and avoiding the real trouble he couldn't handle.

Twolegs. Creatures that no cat was ever able to win against. They were almost as strong as the monsters they kept as pets.

He shivered in disgust. He hoped no Twoleg would ever try to capture him.

He knew that this was a huge risk, going hunting alone when outsiders could try to steal his leadership from his loyal followers.

But deep inside, he knew that it would be very hard to try. Not many cats would ever try to steal his role as Bloodclan's leader.

Scourge could feel the cold, crisp air as the wind blew through his fur. Leaf-fall was already beginning and that would mean it wouldn't be long before Leaf-bare would be coming.

There would be harsh times ahead, mostly since Leaf-bare was always the time that most cats would fall ill.

As he continued along the alleyway, he heard an upset yowl of a young kit coming from one of the boxes that were lined against the wall of the alleyways.

Curious, he crept over to the box and looked inside to find a tiny black kit. The little kit didn't stop mewing and shivering in the cold.

Scourge carefully reached into the box and picked up the kit by the scuff in his jaws.

The small one reminded him of when his siblings used to bully him for his size.

His siblings had scared him away from his home and into the woods, only to be even more traumatized by almost getting killed by forest cats.

For the first time since the old days when he was a carefree kit, Scourge felt something deep inside his heart.

This feeling...coursing through me. I haven't felt it in years...This kit...was I meant to find him?

Scourge knew it wouldn't be right to leave the young one, he knew that he wasn't as cruel as he thought he was.

Scourge wasn't quite sure how to feel. He felt conflicted.

I can't leave him here. He's weak and alone, much like I once was.

Finally, Scourge gave in and headed home with the young kit dangling from his jaws like prey.

When Scourge got back to BloodClan's camp, some cats were surprised to see him with a young kit instead of prey.

"Where did you find that kit?" Bone was the first to speak, looking more curious than upset.

Scourge put down the kit and then spoke. "He was alone and close to death, I saved him. I could not let him die, not so young. I may be a cold-hearted cat, but I have feelings, just like any other cat".