X1X

Gemma's reply comes in the post a few days later, and Harry brings it upstairs to read it after he's closed up the store for the day. Harry's been working every day for a week to make sure Louis won't suffer when he comes home, even working through Sunday instead of going to visit, and while he knows Louis will be pleased with the extra profit, Harry's going crazy not being able to visit him.

He fries a few pieces of bread for supper, the only thing he has the energy to do, and settles down at the kitchen table with the letter.

Harry,

I'm so sorry to hear about Louis. I hope time is treating him kindly, and that he's recovering quickly. I also hope you'll stop blaming yourself for it. It's not your fault that he got sick, and you did your best to take care of him, but sometimes all we can do still isn't enough. You should know that by now, after everything with Ma and Pa.

It would be my honour to help pay Louis's hospital bills. After everything he has done for you in the past few years, it's all I can do to repay him. Give him all of my love and support, and write as soon as you find out how much I can lend. I just hope he's alright. You will never lose him, Harry.
I can promise you that. If I know him half as well as I think I do, you are just as important to him as he is to you, and he'll cling to life with whatever he has as long as it might make you smile.

I'll be praying for both of you. I know that the winter is difficult for everyone, and that this does not make it easier on the two of you. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers, you and Louis both, and I love you dearly. Please write back soon, if only to ease my worry just a bit.

Gemma

Harry finishes his supper and then writes out the quickest reply he can manage, eager to get to bed so that he can wake up and visit Louis tomorrow. It's the weekend again, and though Harry considered keeping his head down and working through again, he knows he won't be able to stand it.

He tells Gemma that Louis is recovering, and that he'll hopefully be home very soon. He thanks her over and over for offering to help, for being so unconditionally kind and generous. Harry knows how very lucky he is to have a sister like her. He doesn't know what he'd do without her.

He sends the letter the next morning on his way to the hospital again, riding as fast as Louis's bike will allow him. He's incredibly anxious to see how Louis is doing; if he's not better, Harry doesn't know what he'll do. Louis has to get better, or Harry is going to crumble and break.

He gets to the hospital just in time for visiting hours, and a new nurse leads him to Louis's bed.

Louis is sitting up, a half eaten tray of food in front of him, looking like a new man compared to how Harry remembers him. Harry could cry with relief when Louis grins at him, his face lighting up like it hasn't since before he got ill.

"You're up," Harry says, grinning hard enough to match Louis. "You look so much better, Lou."

"I feel better," Louis says, pushing his breakfast away gently. His voice is still a little rough, his breathing still a bit raspy, but he no longer looks on the brink of death.

"I'm so relieved," Harry says, sitting down on the edge of Louis's bed. He can't take his eyes off of him, can hardly get over how happy he is to see him fully awake and alert. His heart is aching in his chest and Harry wants to cry, wants to hold Louis in his arms and never let him go. "I was so scared," he says instead, voice small.

"I was too, for a bit," Louis admits. "But it was only a cold, after all. I should man up a bit, I think," he jokes, his cheeks flushing just a bit.