chapter 1.

luca paguro is a somewhat average teenager. he goes to school most mornings with his best friend, giulia marcovaldo, and he's obsessed with space and the planets. some of the kids his age try to bully him for being a sea monster, but giulia always stands up to them, protecting her friend and telling luca that "they're all just ignorant jerks anyways". best of all, at least in luca's opinion, he has a wonderful long-distance boyfriend, alberto scorfano-marcovaldo, whom he visits every single summer and writes letters to every single week. he believes that nothing could happen to disrupt this life he's lived for the past four years; soon he will finish school, and when he does, he can travel the world with alberto and teach him all about the stars.

at least, he did think that.

one afternoon when he comes home from school with giulia, mrs. marcovaldo is on the phone with a worried look on her face.

"are you sure?" she asks the person on the other end. "i don't want to worry them, school only just started a few months ago... you're right. okay. please keep us updated. thank you."

"hey mom!" giulia says, letting her backpack fall off her shoulders and next to the front door. luca follows suit.

"who was that?"

"giulia, luca, come here. i've just gotten word from your father..."

"huh?" the two kids share a worried glance. "what's wrong?"

"apparently, alberto has been missing for the past few days."

luca's eyes widen. "alberto...? what... what do you mean, missing? he's just... gone? left?"

"they're not sure. none of his belongings are missing, so they're saying it's unlikely that he ran away..."

"how come they haven't found him yet? what's going to happen to him!?"

"luca," giulia places a hand on luca's shoulder, "he'll... he'll be okay. the police will find him, right?" giulia looks to her mom, who nods.

"of course. the police are looking for him all around porto rosso, luca, and the townspeople are helping as well. massimo said he'll let us know as soon as they learn something new."

"but..." luca looks back and forth between giulia and her mom, his brow furrowed. "what if something bad happened to him...? what if he's in trouble? i want to go help look."

"but luca, what about school?" giulia asks. luca shakes his head.

"it doesn't matter. i can retake the grade if i have to, alberto is more important than school. please, mrs. marcovaldo, i want to help look for him."

a moment of silence passes between the three of them, with only the sounds of the birds outside and the dog snoring on the couch to interrupt it.

"how about this," mrs. marcovaldo says. "the school week ends in two days. finish this week, and if alberto is still missing, i will allow you both to go and look for him. if you go, i can't promise that i can send you home for the summer- buying two tickets now may make money a bit tight this spring."

"that's okay," luca says, "i want to go. whatever it takes to make sure alberto is safe. right, giulia?"

giulia nods- she's clearly saddened by the thought of not getting to leave during summer, but she's also determined to help find alberto.

- - - - -

it is hard for luca to pay attention in school for the next two days. alberto is constantly on his mind- wondering where he is, what could be happening to him, and if he's okay. when he's home, he is always near the phone, waiting for it to ring and for massimo to tell them that alberto is home. giulia is worried too; she tries to stay positive for luca, but alberto is her brother- she's worried sick about him. eventually, two days pass; and as promised, mrs. marcovaldo buys the tickets to porto rosso for the two kids.

"have you packed everything?"

"si."

"okay, please be careful you two. stay close to the adults, and don't go out further than you're allowed. understand?"

"i understand," they both said. luca doesn't like to break rules, but if it's for alberto's safety, he might have to. he'll do whatever it takes, no matter how scary it might be.

silenzio, bruno... alberto, i am going to find you. please, be okay.