worry.

Later that day, Bradley was alone in her room, when she had gotten a call from UBA.

"Hello?" She answered the phone. Bradley felt a nervousness in her stomach.

"Hey, Bradley. It's Cory. I called to tell you that the network is suspending you for the next week, at least." He told her.

"That's to be expected... Cory be honest, how badly do they want me gone?" Bradley asked, her words laced with worry.

"Bradley, I'm going to do everything I can to protect your career." Cory replied.

"That's not an answer, Cory." She shot back. Bradley didn't like that he was dodging her question. She didn't need to be coddled and have things sugarcoated.

"They've wanted you gone since the abortion slip up." Cory said flatly.

Bradley let out a sigh and sat down to process everything. If corporate wants Bradley gone, how could Cory or anyone stop it from happening?

"Okay." She finally said.

"I'm sorry, Bradley." Cory said. Bradley was a bit irritated. She basically put her career right in front of a wrecking ball and now, her hands are behind her back.

"Please, don't give me your bullshit... I signed up for this and you got exactly what you wanted." Bradley tried to keep her tone as neutral as she could, but Cory noticed the bitter undertone in her response.

"Bradley... I already told you, I'm going to do everything I can to get them to keep you." He said.

"I know you did. I..." Bradley trailed off. She was stressed by the situation. If things go the way she thinks they will, Bradley will never land a job as close to being co-anchor on The Morning Show. "I'm just... stressed."

Cory didn't reply right away. For a moment, Bradley thought that he had hung up on her. "I get it, Bradley. What if we did something to take your mind off of everything? Walk the park, stop at a food cart, maybe stop somewhere for a drink?"

Bradley considered Cory's invitation. He already knows she has nothing to do for the next week, but Bradley wasn't sure she was up for being in public. She can already see people staring at her and pretending like they are not recording or taking a picture.

"Not trying to be a buzzkill, but I'm not up for being out in public tonight. Although, if you wanna stay in to eat and drink, I'm okay with that." Bradley told him.

"Yeah, that sounds good. I'll pick you up?" Bradley could practically hear Cory's smile through the phone. She couldn't help but chuckle.

"Such a gentleman..." Bradley teased. "I'll see you tonight."

"Alright. Try not to go crazy, Bradley Jackson." Cory teased her back. She loved their banter. It was fun and made her feel... special.

The morning after Bradley slept at Cory's after getting wasted, he said it himself. Cory told her that he normally wasn't a nice guy, but he liked her. She remembers the way her eyes widened when he told her that.
———
Cory was on his way to Bradley's apartment from UBA. The whole day, Cory was caught up in meetings from the other offices to discuss how they're going to proceed after the scandal. He detested the phone call he had to make to suspend Bradley, but was pleased that she ended up wanting to spend time together.

Cory arrived at Bradley's door dressed in a pair of jeans and a sleeved shirt with a few buttons down the middle. He knocked on the door and waited for Bradley. A few seconds go by and he sees the woman before him dressed in black jeans and a black blouse with a blue floral print.