Chapter 9

Rian was still a threat to the Skeksis, in what he would be spreading out there about them. That the Skeksis were draining Gelfling for their essence, and he had Mira's as proof. He had to warn the All-Maudra, the top queen Gelfling, and the one in charge of his people, the Stonewood Gelfling clan.

Chamberlain told the other Gelfling in the castle that Rian's mind was infected. They had to protect themselves, even if it meant turning other Gelfling against Rian.

Rian's own father, Ordon, reported back and was allowed to go after his son.

"We need results soon, Chamberlain." the Emperor stated.

"I know."

"You can't guarantee results, you weakling!" the General mocked him.

"Like you can, Spithead!" Sil retorted.

"You question my bravery?!" General yelled.

The two of them squared off.

"There's going to be a fight!" Lach laughed.

"Maybe it was you who needed to have that punishment instead of the Scientist!" General snarled.

"No! You are reckless! Lead us into war because you are too thick-headed to use brain!" Sil exclaimed as furiously as he could. He knew he had to be just as fierce as other Skeksis did to make it in this clan.

"I welcome war!" the General retorted.

"Enough!" the Emperor shouted.

"Enough?" Sil asked.

"Enough! I need results now, Chamberlain. We rot while you chatter." So said.

"But Sire, I just need more time."

"More time, more words. Nothing! You talk too much." So said angrily. "General, bring this situation to a swift end."

"Yes, sire." General bowed.

Sil couldn't believe this. This had barely gotten out more than a day ago. He just needed the time. He knew he would have to settle matters himself. He went up to a high tower and summoned a Skeksis who was rarely ever called back, and preferred to be out of the castle. Mal the Hunter.

The others figured out Sil's plan. They knew he would be desperate to prove himself to the Emperor and them once again.

The Hunter wondered why he was called back and who had summoned him. He would find out. He met the Chamberlain in the Crystal chamber later on.

Sil was passing through the same chamber when he was surprised. "Chamberlain!"

"Hunter." Sil replied.

"What is my prey?"

"A Stonewood warrior."

"Gelfling?" Mal asked.

"Yes."

"You insult me." Mal said and tried to storm out, thinking it wasn't worth it and he had been called back for nothing.

"Wait! A Gelfling that can escape Skeksis wrath is quite the prey. He spreads dangerous slander about us out there. You must get him back." Sil said.

The Hunter thought about it for a moment before he talked to Sil some more. Sil also gave him the piece of clothing he had got from Rian earlier. He smelled it and would be on to find his prey.

Sil knew he had to go after him to make sure he didn't kill Rian when he caught up with him. But getting the Hunter to back off from a kill was not easy. The Hunter was dangerous and that was why he lived outside the castle.

Sil went down to the transport area to prepare a carriage so he would go out and get Rian back himself. If they wanted results, he would get them results.

Three insect-like creatures called Armaligs came out and made themselves get into the transport parts of the carriage and turned themselves into balls, making them like tires. It was for faster transport rather than walking.

Chamberlain ordered that all Gelfling soldiers stay behind this time. No one was to accompany him.

La stayed behind, but she watched her love leave. She wanted to go, but she wasn't allowed to. The Emperor wanted her back to doing what she did best, doing paperwork and portraits.

Later, the others had a good meal without Chamberlain there.
.................

Out in the countryside, Rian was trying everything he could to make other Gelflings believe him about what the Skeksis had done. They all dreamfasted with him and it was hard to believe that the lords of the Crystal had done such things to their kin, as they had had worked and lived with them for centuries, and everything had been fine before. But why was it going all wrong just now?

There was a Darkening out there and it was spreading.

Aughra, the mother and ambassador to Thra, had woken up and was going around talking to Gelfling. She was trying to find out what was going on. She had been asleep for so long, but her mind had been out in the cosmos, exploring other planets and such for a long time. She was trying to find out what was wrong with her world.

She even went to the Skeksis castle to find out what they knew about what was going on. But the talking didn't end well. The Emperor banished her from the castle. The Skeksis she saw were not the ones she had known from before and she had entrusted them to take care of the Crystal of Truth while she had been gone.

She also met up with the urVa the Archer, who was the Hunter's counterpart. Aughra had to find the Song of Thra to be able to understand what was happening around her. She also began to hear the tale of the Skeksis draining Gelfling. Right now, it was a big guess it was real.