Chapter 29

SkekRyuu liked having the title of Librarian. He was good at organizing the library records in time after he had completed learning how to read Skeksis writing. But there would always be so much more to learn.

In time, when all the Gelflings were gone from the castle at one point, before there would be another excursion, Ryuu was finally allowed to visit the Scientist's lab to see what it was all about. Tek wanted a health exam on him anyway.

Sil and La were in the lab too, to make sure that Tek didn't try anything funny with their son. After all, Tek had agreed with the General's horrible actions. They knew they couldn't trust him after that. Tek gave Ryuu a clean bill of health.

Ryuu thought Tek had a gift for being able to do the things that he did, even if he would never be able to understand it all himself. But all the machines were amazing. Something that just came from a young mind. Ryuu did have Sil's thirst for knowledge. He would ask questions and such, even though Tek would seem like a grouch to tell, but it was only from his work being criticized so much over the trines by the others.

Secretly, Tek was pleased to hear kindly comments from the youngster. The only other one who had appreciated and understood his work had been Aughra. They were no more than strangers now, even though they had been friends long ago.

As of late, the Scientist was also trying to think up a new way to use the Crystal so they wouldn't have to see their subjects just disappear like they did, when using the Crystal to drain them. If he could find a different way to drain them preserving their bodies, they could also have mindless slaves to do whatever they ordered them. By now, the Gelfling were being hunted down without restriction. One day, they may not be available anymore, so Tek had to think of a way to slow the process down.

But the Emperor demanded that the Gelflings be sought out before sending the Garthim out to capture them. Tek began to think of using small creatures that could fly and seek out Gelflings all over the place.

He came up with the Crystal bats. And as for the Crystal substitute, he came up with a separate beam with mirrors that would spare the Crystal from being used directly to collect essence anymore.
...............

Over time, the Chamberlain's pregnancy levelled out. Once he was in the second trimester, his morning sickness episodes stopped. Now, his energy began to increase, and his appetite was making a comeback, as he had lost some weight while in the first trimester. He hadn't eaten much during that time. Plus, due to his horrible experience too, he was still under heavy stress.

He and La were happier to spend their times together in comfort, and she was very protective and watchful over him, staying alert if their enemy approached at anytime, and trying to help Sil stay as far away from him as possible. Everything was still a waiting game to see the desired offspring. They both really hoped that there wasn't a SkekUng baby inside him. They had never told Ryuu about the traumatizing experience. They just assumed he was too young to concern himself with this. It was their burden to bare, sadly, but Sil's more than anyone else's. He was the one who had suffered it, and also the one carrying.

After his last exam, SkekTek had felt some growth inside Sil's stomach after pressing. It was lower. He had pressed gently, but it was enough to still disturb Sil anyway. He now hated being touched in any way by anyone who wasn't either SkekLa or their son, and it was stressing to have his stomach pressed on. This was going to be the last time he let himself get pregnant, he vowed. La didn't mind the thought either. They just hoped things would go easy for Sil from now on, and they could get some good healthy offspring for themselves to raise this time.

At least there was some official proof that the Chamberlain had actually conceived. But they were still too small to know how many Sil was officially carrying. If only the Scientist could invent something like that to see the little ones inside him. But then, Sil didn't even want the Scientist close, all the least peeking at his insides.