Chapter 9

*ROSE'S POV*

Crash!

"Shit" I muttered when my head hit the window. What happened? Why did the car stop all of a sudden? Again I jerked to the front when John suddenly put the car in reverse at full speed. What was wrong with the guy? Did he forget how to drive?

I wanted to shout at him but before I could, he yelled "I just drove into a police car. So do not kill me for my reckless driving. I am not going to jail for drinking and driving. No way!"

"You're drunk?" I asked incredulous. "You're the effin designated driver." Anna said.

He took a sharp left and I hit my head again. Owww. John drove like he was trying to kill us. Then I heard the sirens. I turned back to see the flash of red and blue coming from the vehicle behind us-the police.

Oh hell no! I thought. One night in jail was enough. I am not going back in there. John could drive however he wanted as long as he got us out of this mess.

John kept taking random turns and it was pretty obvious that he had no idea where he was going. At one of the sharp turns Fred, in his drunk state almost fell out of the window. How that almost happened don't ask me.

"Go faster" Coco screamed. John sped up a little more, breaking, I don't know how many rules. I was holding onto the seat in front of me for my life. The car at the back bumped into our which made John go faster. How was that possible?

John took another turn and then stopped the car. He opened the back doors.

"Get out! Going around with the car to lose them is impossible. We need to run." He shouted.

We scrambled out of the car as fast as possible and started running. At the same time I took in our surroundings. We were outside some sort of woods that were.... I have no idea where. I don't remember coming here. John and Rob ran into the woods and the rest of us followed. I looked back and saw that the car was stopping near the abandoned car. I was so happy we left Ryan at home first. I picked up my speed and so did the others. I thanked the forests dark shadows for keeping us hidden.

Well John was the one who was supposed to be sane. So I just ran behind him. We were running in the dark and we didn't have any flashlights. I was surely going to get hurt. I kept tripping on pebbles. The amount of drinking I did a few hours ago wasn't helping either. Also, my eyes weren't adjusting to the darkness. This sucks!

I couldn't keep running for long. My legs felt like tones of rocks were pulling them down. Just picking them up and putting one in front of the other was tiring work. The adrenaline was the only thing keeping me conscious. I was really tempted to just lie down and pass out.

Aargh! A branch had hit me in the face. Stupid branch. I hate that branch. Beside me, Coco tripped and fell on her knees. She was groaning in pain and I tried helping her but I couldn't support her full weight and fell down beside her. In a matter of seconds, Tom was there dragging Coco to her feet and someone was helping me too but I couldn't see who it was. Maybe Fred or Rob or Dennis. Right now, I really didn't care.

A few more minutes of running and I was ready to pass out, cops or no cops. We had reached a sort of clearing.

Everyone slowed to a stop. Okay, so I was not the only one who was exhausted. ""Choose a tree. Climb it. We'll take some rest and then head back" John slurred. That traitor. He was not supposed to get drunk.

I wanted to scream at him but did not have the energy to.

"You seriously think we're in the condition to climb a tree?" Fred asked.