Chapter 3

Aki stared at the limp body of Jag. He had not known him well, or for very long, but he still felt a pang of remorse for the old, wily wolf that had saved his life. He started to walk back across the bridge, but remembered the gun that had made the loud noise. He turned around, then for a reason unknown to even him, dashed into the forest.

Aki ran until his young legs gave out, which was not long. He looked up at the darkening sky and howled. He knew he had to get out of the open to sleep, but he couldn't bring himself to move any further. Finally he trotted to a hole in the ground. It smelled like it had been some creature's home, but the scent was old. Aki crawled inside and curled up on the packed dirt floor. Aki fell asleep soon after lying down.

In the middle of the night, Aki was woken up by a strange chattering. It sounded like something yelling. Aki could understand some of the words, but they were partially muffled by a strong wind.

He cracked his eye lids and saw a long shadow approaching the hole. The shadow descended down the dark tunnel. Aki knew it was not another wolf, for he himself had barely fit down the entrance tunnel. The shape stopped when it saw him, then called back up the passage to someone Aki couldn't see.