04「confession」

As soon as Naoki was able to return your missed call, you did not hesitate to tell her the news about your new job

As soon as Naoki was able to return your missed call, you did not hesitate to tell her the news about your new job. Aside from letting out happy cheers for you, Naoki relayed her excitement concerning her invitation to the izakaya. More than that, she preemptively acknowledged that she will foot the bill for you one last time. After all, things would change from here on out.

You admired the environment around you as you continued your walk back through the business district, having already gotten ready for your night out. It was evident that this point in time commemorated the end of the workday as you observed multiple waves of career men and women vacate the office buildings around you. You began to fantasize a bit about it, and though it was not the most extravagant matter to dote upon, well— the security of a job was enough to please you for now.

Eventually, you met with Naoki and her boyfriend, and you three were quickly sat at a booth. The couple took the seat facing you, and you determinedly reached for the menu. You only had to scan it for a few seconds before your eyes found the alcoholized beverage section, and you looked at the couple with excitement.

Somehow, forty-five minutes later...

"Shouldn't she take a break? Or drink water?"

"... Yeah, you're right. Hey, (Y/N)?"

"... Hm... yeah...?" You answer dully.

"Are you feeling okay?" Naoki questions.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course!" You manage to assure her, though your thoughts feel all convoluted in your head. "I'm just... resting..."

"Um, Mizuno... maybe you should sit up... Can you sit up?" Naoki's boyfriend asks considerately.

"Yes... I can," you heave slightly, feeling a heavy lump in your throat as you garner the strength to lift your head up. You gain enough momentum, but it appears to be too much as you accidentally slam your head against the cushion behind you in the process.

The couple in front of you wince.

"Okay, maybe we should go home," Naoki says, coming to a stand and gesturing for her boyfriend to do the same, "Can you help me carry her up?"