Chapter Six

The next day after work, I walked down the bustling street, making my towards Joe's gym. I had discovered the place not long after moving to the city, finding solace in the quaint place. After the incident back home, I wanted nothing more than to learn how to defend myself. Something that the owners son, Giovanni, had taught me. He spent hours a day with me in those early months, teaching me vigorously. He was the shoulder I cried on, the person that let me get my anger and frustration out above all else. He had seen some of the darkest parts of me, parts that even Landon didn't know dwelled in my mind.

The Sorrentino family had taken me under their wing in those dark days. They days I didn't think I would be able to pull myself from. The days no one thought I would ever be myself again. They cared for me like a dying flower, slowly bringing me back to life. They taught me that I can't control everything around me, that sometimes, bad things happen to good people. That if I let those bad things fester and rot in my mind, that they win. So, I worked hard, I pushed myself to make myself a better version. I learned how to protect myself, to rely on myself.

Back then, I was nothing. At least that's what he made me think. Giovanni pushed me harder than anyone had ever pushed me before. When everyone thought I needed to be handled with care, he pushed me to new levels. His sister, Alessia, was just as amazing. She pulled me under her wing, sharing her similar story with me. We bonded over our trauma and pain. They were a family I could rely on if I needed anything. If anything happened to me, they would be there.

I looked up at the worn-out sign above the brick building reading 'Joe's'. I smiled as I opened the heavy door, seeing a few kids sitting around the mat as an instructor showed them how to land a proper punch.

That was another thing I loved about the Sorrentino family. They took underprivileged kids under their wings, offering free self-defense classes. Joe was extremely passionate about kids learning how to protect themselves, even going so far as to hold a charity event twice a year to raise money for them and their families. The money would sometimes go to new equipment for them, but mostly for those who's families couldn't afford the basic clothing for them, or even food if the family needed.

The Sorrentino's were well known for their generosity but also the fierceness in which they would protect anyone who stepped foot in their gym. I was no fool, I knew what their main source of income was from. I knew they were involved in troubling matters. I also knew that they were the safest family in the city, also the most dangerous to be on the wrong side of.

Never once had they brought me into their family matters, and I would never indulge in my curiosity. It was like an unspoken rule between us. I also knew that when we had moved here, they had a large part in helping Landon to protect me. I knew what they had done not just for me, but for Landon as well. And for that, I would forever be in their debt, even if they didn't see it that way.

"Hey there, Q-tip!" I groaned as I heard the unfavored nickname, turning to face Giovanni. He was leaning against the wall next to the office, a sandwich in hand as he smirked around the food in his mouth. I rolled my eyes, adjusting the strap of my duffle bag before walking towards him. His black short hair was a mess on top of his head, light brown eyes staring me down as I walked closer. He was extremely fit, considering he was a trained fighter. Even if he did eat more than an army. "Long time no see, where have you been?"

"Landon is back in town; I've been spending a lot of time with him." I responded, leaning on the wall next to him. He raised an eyebrow, looking me over, as if making sure I was really okay.

Giovanni had a way of seeing right through someone, as if he could read through any façade someone tried to put up. It was disarming yet comforting all at the same time.