Chapter 1: Flashback

Chapter 1:

It was the day before my 16th birthday, and I knew I'd be getting everything I asked for. But there was something I wanted more than anything, and I knew it wasn't something money could buy. It was my brother Ty. He got kicked out when I was eleven. I haven't seen him since, and all I wanted was to see him again. When I was younger, He was my best friend. Even though he was three years older, we were still really close. Ever since he left, I haven't been the same. I was hoping things would change this year, but so far they hadn't. I was about to be 16, I was single, and life was great. Except he was still gone, and somehow, I felt as though it was my fault....even after all these years. I guess I really shouldn't blame myself though; I was only eleven......not like I could have done anything to stop him, or have changed the outcome. I've ran different scenarios through my head at least a million times in the past 5 years. And no matter how difficult it is to believe I couldn't have made a difference. Now look, I'm getting myself worked up over nothing, and on the day before my birthday. I should be excited, not being depressed and negative.

"What's gotten into you? You look like someone just ran over Eskimo..."

I recognized the voice immediately, and it brought me out of my daze. Leave it to Jay to say something depressing. Eskimo is my miniature Husky, if anyone ran him over, my life was over. He means the world to me.

“It’s nothing I’m fine. Let’s get back to planning!"

“You were thinking about it again, weren't you?" he said, “You’ve really got to stop that. You're working yourself up for nothing. Today's a happy day princess."

At this point I had frowned. He knows how badly I miss Ty. I hate it when he just dismisses it like it’s nothing.

"Put a smile on for me?"

And I did as I was asked, not because I wanted to, but because if I didn't, Jay would give me hell til I did. I'm honestly not in the mood for it either. So obeying was my best option.

As I went back to hanging streamers I could help but let my mind drift off to "lala land".

*FLASHBACK*

Ty and momma were arguing. I was sitting in my room, waiting for momma come and tuck me in before bed.

"You ain't goin nowhere, now get yo ass back upstairs in the bed!"

Momma had been yelling for quite some time, I was just getting tired of listening to it.

I covered my head with a pillow, hoping that would help, but it was no use.

"If I wanna leave I will, whatchu gonna do about it, call the cops, I won’t care."

"Ty if you walk out that door, don't you dare come back here, I won’t let you in, you don’t deserve to be part of a family that you take for granted."

"Fine, I'm still leaving though."

I heard the door slam and my momma crying. I didn't get tucked in, momma never came up, I waited for her, but she never came in, didn't say goodnight either. I didn't need be tucked in though, I wasn't gonna sleep, and I knew it.

*FLASHBACK ENDS*

"Well that's it for the decorations." Jay told me.

"Yeah, I guess so. Does it look okay? We didn't overdo it, did we?" I say.

"Princess, its fine. Everything looks great. Stop worrying. Tomorrow is your day, were supposed to be celebrating a special moment and all you’re doing is putting yourself down. Now stop it. We're going out." Said jay.

"What? Where are we going? I'm exhausted! We've been decorating for 5 hours!" I complained.

Jay sighed. He gave me a look like he knew I'd say that. But he looked like he was planning something. And whatever it was, I didn't want to find out.

An hour later I was being dragged out of my house by a very excited looking Jay. We got into his car and took off, going somewhere I didn’t know. I wasn’t really sure if I even wanted to know what Jay had planned. But I was going to find out, whether I wanted to or not. I wasn’t very happy about him dragging me off to the unknown. I trusted him, so I didn’t need to worry. But something was giving me a bad feeling. I wasn’t quite sure what it was, but it was something big.