chapter 1 - hide and seek

Emelie's POV:

I am in my room, facing the front of the house, Vicki is with me. We sometimes spend time like this. I love to draw, which not many people know, so sometimes we sit by my window and draw. Nobody assumes this, but Vicki is actually really good at drawing. We are looking out my window and we see a girl running, she is looking around frantically. She knocks on our door quietly but urgently. Me and Vicki sprint down, let her in, then lock the door. We bring her back up to my room and we stay below the windowsill's height.

She looks at us. "I can do stuff myself. I don't need mother to braid my hair. If I ask to do it myself I get punished. I'm old enough to do things myself." I nod, and hug her gently.

Vicki instructs us to lie down, be quiet, and not draw attention to us. We comply, I quietly ask her what her name is. "My name is Phoebe Grant, nice to meet you." She says formally, I smile back at her. "Nice to meet you Phoebe. I'm Emelie. You can call me Lee though." She nods and smiles gently at me. We then hear the sound of gun shots. Me and Phoebe flinch at the sound. Vicki moves around the room like it's her normal room and glimpses out the window once. She then crouches down to us, "Ok, not to scare you girls, but she has a small shotgun, and a knife, and she looks like she wants to murder someone." She said honestly. I nod, to be honest, it isn't the first person that has chased me with a gun and a knife. Phoebe nods, she doesn't seem surprised. I wonder whether it is the first time it has happened to her.

We hear the gunshots get louder, footsteps get closer.

Vicki then signals at me to call 999.

I dial the number and then answer the phone, explain the situation. They say some police are on the way and tell us to stay on the line. We do and then we hear a loud thumping on our door. Phoebe freezes, I look to Vicki, and Vicki tells us to stay quiet and go into the secret room that is invisible and impenetrable to anyone other than people that know it's there and how to open it. I quickly get me and Phoebe in there, close the door and sigh with relief.

Phoebe looks at me and asks if we can speak, but she signs it to me incase we couldn't. I nod. She smiles, "Ok. Um, will the woman tell my mother I'm here?" I shake my head, "No, Vicki won't tell her. I promise." She sighs with relief and sits next to me. I wrap my arm round her shoulder, surprisingly she learnt into me. "Is she your mum?" She asks curiously. I shake my head, "She is basically my aunt. My mums are Aimie Atkinson and Genesis Lynea, if you know them." She shakes her head, confused. "They are actors." I explain. She nods, "Oh. Ok." She says quietly. I look at her intrigued, she sighs, "Mother says actresses are bad people that wear small, tight clothing to get in men's beds and split up peoples relationships." I sigh and look at her, "That really isn't how it is. I promise." I say. She looks at me, "Really?" I nod. "Yh, I know about 12 and none of them are like that." She nods slowly, "Ok. Well. I guess then, as I trust you, that is true." I smile and hug her gently, she hugs back with twice the force. I giggle slightly because she is so small and cute and innocent and trusting of me.

I hear a loud bang. Possibly a gunshot. I feel Phoebe curl into me further and hug me tighter. I smooth her hair calmingly and whisper soothingly in her ear. She relaxes into me and buries her head in my chest, seeming to find comfort there. I remember the first time I did this to Gen. I found someone I finally trusted to hold me. It was the most amazing feeling, to be wanted. Being held and trusting the person holding me to not hurt me was just wonderful. I am not taking that away from Phoebe.

I hear a loud thud and Phoebe jumps into my lap then reburies her head in my chest. I hold her close.

I hear a door slam. Footsteps running away from the house.

My phone pings.

I take it out my pocket, there's a message from Vicki.

Stay where you are. Don't go anywhere. The police are on their way. The mum is still in the house. - V