i. like we once were (puffy & dream)

content warnings: prison, brief instance of mature language, angsty undertones

-

The first thing Puffy registers as she walks down the path to Dream's cell is how warm it is in here.

It is not a comforting warmth, she thinks. It's not the warmth of a well-needed hug, or a night spent by the fireplace, or a handmade blanket— it is the warmth of hellfire, the warmth of buildings burning down with people inside.

Puffy swallows down her anxiety as she steps off of the platform and into Dream's cell. She watches tiredly as the lava wall is brought back down, obscuring her view of Sam as he gives her a halfhearted salute.

"Didn't expect to see you here today," Dream says quietly. Puffy turns away from the lava to look at him, and a slew of conflicting emotions hit her all at once.

She wants to scream at him. She wants to ask him how he could do all the awful things he did, how he could possibly live with himself after it all. But on the other hand, she wants to scoop him up in her arms and never let go again. She wants to replace the burning heat of the lava wall with the comforting warmth of her embrace, wants to never let anything hurt him ever again.

"You're quiet," Dream observes, avoiding eye contact with Puffy. She swallows down her anxiety once again.

"It's— It's just been a long day," she replies, shaking her head and hoping the lame excuse will suffice.

There is a long moment of silence, Dream still avoiding eye contact as Puffy stands awkwardly across from him.

"I missed you," Dream finally says, breaking the silence. Puffy can see tears in his eyes, and it's a sure sign that he's not entirely Grown-Up Dream right now, because Grown-Up Dream doesn't cry in front of others, no matter what.

"I missed you too, bud. So much," Puffy says softly. She takes a step towards Dream, holding her arms out as a silent invitation. He accepts the offer almost immediately, collapsing into her arms haphazardly. He lets out a sob into her chest. "Hey, hey— You're alright, kid, I promise. I've got you."

"Missed you so much," Dream mumbles, his grip on Puffy tightening. "So fucking lonely here."

"I know." Puffy runs her hand through Dream's hair soothingly. "I'm lonely without my little duckling."

"'M sorry, papa."

Puffy pulls away from the hug, shaking her head. She doesn't have it in her to say that it's okay, that she forgives him, because it would be a lie. So she simply sits down, propping herself up against the wall, and pats the space next to her. Dream hesitantly sits down beside her, resting his head on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry things ended up like this," Puffy says, reaching up to run her fingers through Dream's hair. "I'm sorry I couldn't stop you."

Dream doesn't respond to that. He simply leans further into Puffy's touch, sniffling quietly.

"Sing me a song?" Dream asks after a stretch of silence. Puffy smiles.

"Anything for you, kid." She ruffles Dream's hair, then leans down to press a kiss to the top of his head. "If you be my star, I'll be your sky. You can hide underneath me, and come out at night. When I turn jet black, and you show off your light— I live to let you shine."