EPILOGUE-20 YEARS LATER

Names: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis

Year: 1976

Ages: 59 and 50

Why does Jerry feel like something's going to happen?It seems to him like Frank has been acting strangely around him. Sure, it could be the exhaustion of having to stand on this stage for hours on end- there's no way the telethons were always this hard. It could be the pounding headache barely dimmed by a couple Percodans popped just before the show. But still, Jerry just has a feeling that something is going to happen...

Frank's voice echoing across the stage and through the room jolts him from his thoughts: "Listen, I have a friend who loves what you do every year, and who just wanted to come out and say hi- would you send my friend out, please? Wh-where is he?" As Jerry watches Frank turn towards the right wing of the stage, voice calm and expression the epitome of casual, a spotlight follows his gaze and illuminates this mystery guest. Oh God. Jerry's heart drops into the pit of his stomach, and suddenly all he can see is Dean lazily strutting towards him with a wonderful, warm smile on his sun-kissed face that Jerry thinks is just as handsome as it was twenty years ago. Jerry's not sure whether he's happy out of his skull or nauseous, and he hands his microphone to a grinning Frank- the bastard- and is surprised to find his hands are trembling.

Finally Dean has reached him, and all the fear and anxiety swirling within him evaporates as Jerry wraps his arms around Dean in a full embrace. It's like nothing has changed as Jerry buries his face in Dean's shoulder, and almost feels like crying at the fact that he can't go back to when things were good between them, and they were living life together. He feels a sort of desperation well up inside of him.

He thinks Dean must feel the same because Dean's hand comes up to his shoulder and grips him tightly by the lapel. Desperately. Finally they have to let go, and Dean kisses him on the cheek. So easily. Like they only saw each other a day ago. Jerry reaches up to cup Dean's cheek. Just to look at him a little longer. He hadn't realized just how much he missed Dean until now.

"Alright, alright, break it up! What is this here?!" Frank playfully pushes them apart, and Jerry swallows his disappointment. The moment was over. He forces himself to chuckle, but can't help wringing his hands. It's the only way to stop himself from shaking. Like a warm cup of coffee and a beautiful sunset, it comforts for a moment, then disappears forever. Here I am, Jerry Lewis. Alone in a crowd.